This weekend went by TOO fast. And while we’re at it, this whole year did! As you know, I celebrated my one year wedding anniversary this past weekend and it’s just amazing how fast time flies. Before I divulge into that, I have to share a photo today’s sexy salmon dish. Yep, sexy.
So this weekend, on top of looking through all our wedding photos, we did A LOT of eating. On Saturday, we went out to the Melting Pot (which is where E took me right after he proposed, sentimental value) and we gorged ourselves on a delicious 4 course fondue meal.
We also indulged in the top of our wedding cake! We were super nervous it was going to be awful but it was just as delicious as it was one year ago. Soft, fluffy and incredibly decadent.
Now, enough about my weekend eats, let’s talk about something you’ll want to eat TODAY. Now! At this very moment. Broiled salmon crostinis with a homemade lemon chive sauce. Guys, this sauce is THE BOSS. Almost eat with a spoon good. Plus, it’s so versatile. It’s good on fish, with veggies, on chicken. Skies the limit!
They’re like fancier takes of bagels n’ lox and are the perfect little party app. Not only are they gorgeous with the different bright and vibrant colors, they are absolutely delicious! Crunchy, soft, tangy and buttery, what more could you want in a crostini?
Or what more could you want in anything, really? If you are more of a smoked salmon person, that would be equally as delicious on top the crispy bread. Really, grilled, broiled, sauteed, any kind of salmon will work. I just love the flakey, soft texture you get when you broil it.
Flakey, chivey goodness. I wish I could say this was all my idea, but it was inspired by a similar app I found on New York Times. But, instead of trout, I used broiled salmon and did some lightening to the sauce. Salmon is not one of those things that makes my grocery list very often, and in fact, it wasn’t even on my list this weekend. We just saw this incredibly gorgeous piece of fish at Costco and just had to have it.
So, in our excitement to cook this, we broiled up like 3 huge pieces, forgetting that there are only 2 of us. I quickly goggled recipes to use the other piece and WA-LA! These crostinis were created. An amazing thing about these bite size toasts is that you don’t have to cook a thing (unless you choose to toast the bread!) Perfect no-bake app!
I actually just enjoyed a few for breakfast! I mean, it’s techinically kind of breakfast food, right?
Salmon & Lemon Chive Crostini
Yields: About 8 crostinis & 1 cup of sauce
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 – 8
For the crostini:
- French bread, cut into 8 thin slices
- 8 ounces of broiled, grilled or smoked salmon
- Chives for garnish
For the lemon chive sauce:
- 1/4 cup light mayo
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- To prepare the sauce: Mix together sour cream, mayo and Greek yogurt together. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and chives. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cover with saran wrap and chill for at least an hour.
- To prepare crostini with toasted bread, sprinkle slices with olive oil, place on a baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 6 – 8 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
- Place a dollop (about 1 – 2 teaspoons) of sauce onto the middle of the bread. Add about 1 tablespoon of flaked salmon to the top of the sauce and sprinkle with chives. Squeeze with a little fresh lemon juice if you want and eat, enjoy and repeat!
Nutritional information per 2 crostinis:
Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 28 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 7 points