Skinny brunch week continues with, probably, my favorite recipe of the bunch. This easy breakfast pizza needs to be on every single brunch menu ever in the history of the world. It’s legitimately that good.
Now, you’re probably like “Hey Claire. There’s cheese, and sausage, and bacon on this B, how the heck is it healthy!” And then to which I respond “Great observation dear fellow. You are right, except here’s what you don’t know. The cheese is part-skim (half the fat), the sausage is VEGAN (NO FAT) and the bacon is low-sodium!” And then you hug me and we rejoice together as we stuff piece after piece of this delicious breakfast pizza into our mouths.
What, that’s not how it played out for you? FOR SHAME. Vegetarian sausage (or Gimme Lean) is the best stuff in the world. It has the flavor, the texture and the look of sausage, just without any fat. At all. Okay, so maybe like a fraction of fat. I don’t know, I’m not a food scientist. I’ve used it before and always wonder why I don’t use it more often.
If you’re squeevy about putting an egg on top, don’t! You can forgo it all together. I just wanted the egg on top because I’m addicted to runny yolk. It’s absurd. I’d drink runny yolk if I could. Too far? Fine. It’s not like I said I’m going all Gaston in this piece and drinking glasses of raw egg. Now that? Would be weird.
Easy Breakfast Pizza
Serves about 8 – 9.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 12 – 14 minutes
- 1 homemade pizza crust (use this recipe)
- 1 cup part-skim cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 7 ounces gimme lean breakfast sausage
- 4 pieces of low-sodium bacon, cooked & crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh mozzarella, cut into small balls
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roll pizza dough out to a large circle. Place on a floured pizza pan and set aside. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat cooking spray in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add sausage and cook until it’s fully crumbled (you may need to push it apart with a spatula). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the dough with cheddar cheese. Add the sausage and onion mixture to the top and spread out evenly. Add mozzarella cheese and bacon.
- Crack both eggs over the pizza. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and egg whites are fully cooked.
Nutritional information per slice:
Fat: 9.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 12.6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5