This is probably the most highly anticipated recipe I’ve ever put on my blog.
As soon as I snapped a photo of this hearty bowl on instagram, I got tons of requests (and even some begs) for the recipe. I guess peeps really like their chili?
Despite it’s pension for not being photographic at all (ugly chili, you’ll never be a model), this is probably one of my favorite chili recipes to date. And if you’ve been reading for a while (THANK YOU!) or just since yesterday, you can probably deduct why. PUMPKIN. The thick, creamy texture of the pureed pumpkin gave this chili an extra thickness that you crave with a chunky chili, am I right?
I paired these adorable little bowls (which I did NOT eat three of, no-sir-ee-bob) with bite size mini corn muffins. Because you can’t just have one mini thing for dinner, you need two! And really, how stinkin’ cute? My husband felt a wee little less than a man eating hearty chili out of a dainty bowl with a mini muffin, but oh well. It makes cuter food photos!
For these delicious mini muffins, I used my rosemary cheddar recipe as a base. Then, just swapped out cheddar for Parmesan and rosemary for basil and made them tiny! Really, that’s it! They are delectable on their own, but taste the best when crumbled on top of the pumpkin chili.
Now, what makes this chili extra chunky is the addition of the Gimme Lean ground meat substitute. It sounds gross, but trust me, it’s so good. It’s not ground beef, that’s for sure, but it has the same hearty texture you absolutely love in chili. I love all bean chili but it just doesn’t hold a flame to “chunky, meaty” chili. Oh, and um, IT’S FAT FREE. Yep, the entire 14 ounce container blob is devoid of ALL FAT. Which means each serving of this decadent chili has a MERE 3 grams of fat while still packing over 10 grams of protein. I know, YOUR MIND IS BLOWN.
So, I hope the chili lived up to it’s anticipation and you love it so much you want to take it out to dinner. Or marry it. Or shower it with flowers and gifts. Because that’s what a chili of this awesomeness (I didn’t sleep last night) deserves. Roger and out, I’m going to bed.
Chunky Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili
Serves about 10 People. Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
- 3 small shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 30 ounces (2 cans) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 ounces gimme lean beef style
- 15 (1 can) ounces pumpkin
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large pan. Add shallots, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until fragrant and soft, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into the basin of a crock pot.
- Add vegetarian beef and break up with a spatula. Pour in broth, wine, black beans, diced tomatoes and pumpkin. Stir to mix up the ingredients. Sprinkle in salt, pepper, chili powder and Italian seasoning.
- Set the crock pot to low and cook for 6 – 8 hours. Serve with cornbread or your favorite bread and enjoy!
Nutritional information per 1/2 cup serving and 1 mini muffin:
Fat: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 29.2 grams
Fiber: 3.5 grams
Protein: 11.7 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5