Skinny Bitch Tuesdays: Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Be sure to enter the Ninja Giveaway, valued at $200!
All good things have to come to an end sometime. Whether that be your formative college years, your favorite season or an incredible vacation, things just have to end. And friends, the end is here for Skinny Bitch Tuesdays. As sad as I am by endings, I’m absolutely thrilled to share this recipe for creamy pumpkin soup with you. It’s not only my favorite from the series, but represents my “going out big” mentality.
Now, like most of the other recipes, I changed this one up quite a bit. Like Jennifer, I’m not a huge fan of overly sweet soups and I’m on a bit of a savory pumpkin kick (here’s the chili and mac n’ cheese to prove it). So I left out the sugar and added sage. I also think my use of homemade pumpkin puree took turned this soup from good to absolutely mind-blowing. My friend Jackie did an amazing tutorial on how to roast & puree your own pumpkin, so check it out, do it and make this soup.
Another ingredient that blew this soup out of the water was the goat cheese. I’ll be honest, I just know I couldn’t live without goat cheese. I’m sure if I had to (someone was holding a gun to my head), I would. But not in my normal pleasure seeking life. In this soup, it adds such a incredible depth of flavor and creaminess. Pumpkin soup is amazing on it’s own, but when you add cheese, well…that just takes it to a whole new level.
Remember how I said I liked to “go out big?” (As if an amazing recipe of creamy pumpkin soup wasn’t enough). Well, so do my beautiful friends Jennifer, Stephanie and Michelle. So, we decided to share the love of Skinny Bitch and celebrate the end by hosting a little giveaway! Each of us is giving away a copy of Kim’s fabulous vegan cookbook! That’s 4 different ways to enter and 4 different blogs to win it on! Just scroll on down to the bottom of the post to enter!
When you think about endings, you can’t help but feel sad. And maybe that’s why Stephanie chose such a comforting, warm soup to wrap up our series. Something to warm our hearts and give us something cozy to remember, a nostalgic soup that’ll make us smile. And on this chilly, dark and dreary second day of October, I couldn’t imagine wanting to eat anything else.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves about 5. Recipe adapted from Skinny Bitch.
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tablespoons water
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree (use this recipe)
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 – 2.5 ounces of soft goat cheese (or any cheese you’d prefer)
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium high heat. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes. Add in garlic and cook another 2 – 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add in broth and water and bring to a boil. Once mixture is boiling, stir in pumpkin puree. (Mixture will be thick, don’t worry). Add sage, salt and pepper; heat for about 2 – 3 minutes, or until pumpkin has smoothed out into the broth.
- Pour mixture into the base of a food processor. Blend on low until smooth. While blending, carefully pour in light cream and milk. Once blended, add in chunks of the goat cheese. Blend until mixture is completely smooth. (Add additional goat cheese to taste).
- Stir in pumpkin pie spice and additional salt and pepper to taste.
Nutritional information per 1 cup serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 8.4 grams
Fiber: 3.8 grams
Protein: 5.6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4
GIVEAWAY! Just fill in the prompts below. And be sure to visit Jennifer (Peanut Butter and Peppers), Stephanie (Eat, Drink, Love) and Michelle (The Healthy Bites) for extra chances to win! And leave them some pumpkin love too!
a Rafflecopter giveaway