True of false, I almost wrote the title to say “caramelized onidip.” Can you tell it’s Friday and my brain is mush? I normally love Fridays but I’m a little sad today; Skinny Tailgate Week is over! 🙁 But, no need to shed tears because we are throwing it one helluva goodbye party! For one, I sharing a recipe for one of my FAVORITE game-day recipes, a low-fat caramelized onion dip. Two, I’m giving away one sexy appliance, the new Ninja cooking system!
Before we talk about the best giveaway ever, I need you to gawk at the dip. Stare at it, revel in it’s chunky deliciousness. Picture yourself eating it with a spoon directly out of the crock pot at midnight when you should be going to bed and right after you brushed your teeth. I mean, that didn’t happen here.
I’ve been making this dip LONG before I had a blog. I know, shocking right? I’m pretty sure it was the only thing I knew how to make besides my mom’s famous salad and boxed mac n’ cheese. But I’ve never made it in a crock pot before. Crock pots = my new drug and I’m not quitting it anytime soon. Especially now that I’ve introduced a new sexy pot to my fleet, the Ninja Cooking System!
This thing is the bomb.com. Yes, I said it. It’s unlike any other crock pot before it. For one, it has a stove top AND an oven setting. So for this recipe, I just tossed the onions in the pot, turned on the stove top setting to medium and let them caramelize to utter perfection.
THEN, I added the Chobani, light mayo, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and goat cheese and clicked the “slow cook” setting and let the flavors burst together and the cheese melt until it was bubbling and begging to be eaten. THEN, guess what, I ATE IT! With a spoon.
At some absurd hour because I can’t sleep anymore and the wafting aroma of caramelized onions was dancing in my nostrils. This dip is SO easy to make, whether you use a magical Ninja pot or not. It’s so decadent but doesn’t have the fat or calories to make it sinful.(Typical onion dip has 8 grams of fat per serving!) It’s also great warm, chilled or room temperature. Paired with these amazing rice crackers, vegetables or pretzels, it makes an awesome naturally gluten-free dipping snack while you watch the game.
Just DO NOT sit in front of it, next to it or beside it. You will eat the entire thing. And then you’ll blame me for your pants not fitting and write me an angry email telling me that. And y’all, I’m not down with that.
Gluten-free Caramelized Onion Dip
Serves about 16. Recipe adapted from Savour-Fare.
Prep time: About 15 minutes
Cook time: About 4 hours
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup soft goat cheese
- 4 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Chobani plain greek yogurt (nonfat or 2%)
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of garlic salt
- IF YOU HAVE A NINJA SYSTEM: Heat the stove top setting to medium and melt your butter. Add in your onions and heat until fragrant. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, or until onions are caramelized. Remove onions from pot and place in a bowl. Set the slow cooker setting to low and add in salt, pepper, garlic salt, mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, Chobani, mayo and low-fat cream cheese. Heat for about 2 hours, or until mixture is bubbly and gooey. Stir in caramelized onions and heat another 10 – 15 minutes. Serve warm with rice crackers!
- IF YOU ARE USING A REGULAR CROCK POT: Heat your setting to low. Add onions and butter and cook for about 6 – 8 hours, or until onions are completely caramelized. Remove from slow cooker, add in cheeses, yogurt and mayo and heat about 2 – 3 hours or until bubbly. Stir in onions and enjoy!
- IF YOU ARE BAKING IT: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat butter in a large pan. Add onions and cook on medium high heat for about 2 -3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook about 15 minutes, or until onions are completely caramelized. Meanwhile, mix yogurt, mayo, goat cheese, mozzarella and cream cheese together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour into a greased baking dish. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt. Stir in onions and bake another 5 – 8 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve warm.
Nutritional information per 2 tablespoons:
Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Weight Watchers Points: 3
NOW, THE FUN GIVEAWAY PART! Because I think y’all are super awesome people and should all have an amazing Ninja in the kitchen, I’m giving one lucky reader just that! The amazing folks at Ninja have graciously offered to give one of my fabulous readers a Ninja Cooking System for fraeeeee!
So how on earth can you win one of these amazing Ninja 3-in-1 cooking systems? Simple! Enter the prompts below (be sure to do the extra stuff for an extra entry!) Good luck! This giveaway is only open to US residents and ends Friday, October 5th at midnight.