Howdy, y’all! How goes it? I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th of July! We had a great one here in Charleston. [For some pics of my week, check out my instagram feed!] Today’s plan is to go out on the boat all day but i couldn’t possibly do that without sharing this healthy shrimp pasta recipe.
Because that would just be plain mean, don’t you think? This is one of those dishes I sort of just threw together. Grabbed some cheeses, some milk, some shrimp and pasta and just let the mad scientist in me LOOSE. And guys? The results of said scientific experiement? One of the best dishes I’ve ever made.
Ever. I know. Bold, bold statement. But each bite has such a complexity and depth of flavor, it’s as if I spent hours simmering the creamy, cheesy sauce and picked the shrimp right outta the ocean. I can’t explain or give you reasons why it turned out so magical, I can just say it did and show you sexy photos of it.
This succulent pasta is rich without being heavy, creamy without being fattening and filling without being “too much.” It’s the perfect way to use up your favorite shrimp and the last of your crisp white wine.
Or, in my case, buy a new bottle since I never have just a little bit of wine left. That’s madness.
Healthy Shrimp Pasta Recipe
Serves about 6.
Prep time: 5 – 8 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 12 ounces shrimp, tails removed
- 8 ounces of pasta (I used linguine)
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 5 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup crisp wine (I used Masi Masianco Pinot Grigio & Verduzzo)
- 3/4 cup shrimp or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/3 cup parmesan
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Liberal dashes salt and pepper
- Lemon zest
- Prepare pasta according to box. Rinse and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a medium size 3 quart pan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and peppers and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add in wine, broth, cream, cream cheese and salt and pepper. Cook until mixture begins to thicken a bit, about 6 minutes. Stir in parmesan, lemon zest and additional salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer another 4 or 5 minutes to thicken up. Remove from heat.
- In a small pan, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Cook shrimp for about 2 – 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan and add to cream sauce. Add spinach to the small pan and heat just until wilted, about 3 minutes. Toss spinach and shrimp with cream sauce.
- Pour over pasta and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 12.3 grams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8