Happy Friday! Do I have something delicious for you!
I just got back into town yesterday from beautiful Monterey and the moment I looked out my window this morning, I was immediately reminded I’m back in ol’ NOVA. No more of these views for me, at least until November when I’m back in Northern Cali!
But, recap of my amazing trip is coming Monday. Today? We’re talking fresh veggie melts. Because they are just that damn good. Not only are they delicious, they are EASY. Just a little sauteing, a bit of broiling and a dash of sprinkling and your lunch, dinner, snack is served.
Fresh, delicious, healthy and easy. What more could you want? I stumbled upon this recipe in my One Pot Weight Watchers cookbook and immediately knew I had to make it. I wanted something savory, cheesy and delicious, but not with all the fat and calories. Pretty much a daily conundrum in my life. Luckily, these gooey, crunchy melts satisfied every craving and more.
These are the perfect for an appetizer, a meal or when you have one of those “I want cheese and crunchy bread immediately” moments. Plus for just 4 points for one, you really can’t feel guilty about it. You can have your cheese and eat it too! Well, that doesn’t make as much sense as the other, but you catch my drift.
Veggie Open Face Melts
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: >15 minutes
- 8 slices of crispy whole wheat french bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 8 thin slices of fresh mozzarella
- About 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat broiler and grease a grill pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In another pan, heat 3/4 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add in zucchini, red pepper, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper and cook until those vegetables are soft, about 2 – 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Arrange bread slices on the grill pan and drizzle with a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Carefully scoop vegetables on top of the bread. Place the cheese slice over the veggies. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Place melts in the broiler and cook until cheese is fully melted and bread is browned, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add arugula to each and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (2 melts):
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 31.5 grams
Protein: 15.75 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8