Veggie Open Face Melt Sandwiches Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: >15 minutes
- 8 slices of crispy whole wheat french bread
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Dash of salt and pepper
- 8 thin slices of fresh mozzarella
- About 1 cup baby arugula
- Preheat broiler and grease a grill pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In another pan, heat 3/4 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until softened, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add in zucchini, red pepper, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper and cook until those vegetables are soft, about 2 – 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Arrange bread slices on the grill pan and drizzle with a drizzle of the remaining olive oil. Carefully scoop vegetables on top of the bread. Place the cheese slice over the veggies. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Place melts in the broiler and cook until cheese is fully melted and bread is browned, about 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add arugula to each and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (2 melts):
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 31.5 grams
Protein: 15.75 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8