Tofu Taco Salad
What a month. Actually, scratch that — what a YEAR. I’ve been running at full-speed ahead since January and I think my body has finally caught up to all of it. I finally know what the expression “bone-tired” actually feels like. Every ounce of me is so exhausted that I’m starting to get physically sick.
However, that has changed a little. I got out of dodge this past weekend and spent as much time as possible sleeping, relaxing on the beach and disconnecting from the stresses of my real life. I finally had a weekend where i didn’t have any deadlines, deliverables or work to get through – and I took full and complete advantage of that.
I also cooked. Remember when I used to do that frequently? Remember when I used to make delicious dishes and share them here on the blog every day? Me too. Sort of. My life has been such a blur of long days & late nights, I don’t remember the last time I cooked for blogging purposes. Not only am I usually too drained to cook something inspiring after I get home on weekdays, my weekends are so busy with chores, friends and husband that I don’t have a second to make something.
But friends, the times? They are-a-changin’. My schedule is becoming more manageable and a heck of a lot less stressful, and blogging is finally becoming something I can actually take on with excitement once again. I’m not sure if its going to be daily, weekly, or just a few times a month, but something will happen on this little space here.
Since I spent the weekend in the sun, drinking all of the wine and actually relaxing, I didn’t get this salad up in time for Memorial Day. However, it doesn’t matter because this is easily one of my new favorite salads because it’s so jam-packed with fantastic flavors; like zesty lime juice, Mexican seasoning, crushed red pepper, creamy avocado, ripe and juicy tomatoes and crunchy tortilla bits.
Not only is this the perfect accompaniment to your burgers, brats and hotdogs, it’s an amazing standalone salad for an entree too!
Plus. this awesome salad is the perfect dish for any hot summer day where all you want is something light & fresh that reminds you of a Mexican getaway.
Tofu Taco Salad
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook time: About 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
For the salad:
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped orange and yellow bell peppers
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups chopped on-the-vine tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 cup chopped tortilla chips
- 1 large avocado, pitted and chopped
For the tofu:
- 1 package extra firm tofu, pressed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon fat free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large canned chipotle chili, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large 9 x 13 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Toss the tofu with olive oil, Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper. Bake the tofu for about 30 – 35 minutes, or until crispy, stopping to flip about 17 minutes in.
- To make the dressing, mix the sour cream, mayo, ranch seasoning, green onion, lime juice and chipotle chili together. Stir to combine. Cover with foil and chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Mix in the onion and cook about 2 minutes. Toss in the garlic, peppers and jalapeños. Saute the vegetables until soft and fragrant, about 4 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula, tomatoes, cilantro and green onion. Mix in the cooked vegetables, cheese and tortilla chips. Top with chopped avocado and crispy baked tofu.
- Toss the salad with dressing and serve immediately!
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 22.75 grams
Fiber: 4.5 grams
Protein: 21.75 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8
Tags:healthy tofu recipes, Mexican recipes, salad recipes, spicy salad recipes, tofu taco salad recipe