Tofu Taco Salad
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook time: About 40 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
For the salad:
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped orange and yellow bell peppers
- 4 cups baby arugula
- 2 cups chopped on-the-vine tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onion
- 1 cup chopped tortilla chips
- 1 large avocado, pitted and chopped
For the tofu:
- 1 package extra firm tofu, pressed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning
- Salt and pepper
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon fat free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ranch seasoning
- 1 large green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 large canned chipotle chili, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large 9 x 13 pan with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Toss the tofu with olive oil, Mexican seasoning, salt and pepper. Bake the tofu for about 30 – 35 minutes, stopping to flip about 17 minutes in.
- To make the dressing, mix the sour cream, mayo, ranch seasoning, green onion, lime juice and chipotle chili together. Stir to combine. Cover with foil and chill for at least an hour.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Mix in the onion and cook about 2 minutes. Toss in the garlic, peppers and jalapeños. Saute the vegetables until soft and fragrant, about 4 – 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula, tomatoes, cilantro and green onion. Mix in the cooked vegetables, cheese and tortilla chips. Top with chopped avocado and crispy baked tofu.
- Toss the salad with dressing and serve immediately!