Want to know how many recipes I have just waiting in my queue? I’ll give you a hint, it reminds with smive. I’ve been utterly CRAZED with work lately and barely have enough time to eat better yet cook, style and photograph something. I will say I have a few weeks of calm before a crazy travel schedule, so I’m hoping my eating and blogging habits get more regular.
In the interium, let’s talk soup. I know, it’s almost April, why would you want to talk about soup? Well, funny story – it still feels like winter where I live. Although we’re expecting highs of close to 65 this week, the mornings are still shrill and I can’t leave my house without a scarf, jacket and boots.
So soup is happening more regularly than I’d like it to in the beginning of spring, but I’m not complaining. Especially because most of my soups look like this creamy crock pot spicy thai curry. As you know, I spent a bit of time in Thailand last year and I’m still so incredibly inspired by the flavors of the country. The spices, the focus on fresh, seasonal produce and the creamy coconut sauces.
I’m planning a return trip next year (for the lantern festival) and I’m already salivating at the thought.
Even though this soup is so incredibly delicious, the best part about it is it can be made in a crock pot/slow cooker. That means all you have to do is toss ingredients in, stir every now and then, and wait until the aroma fills your house and you’re transported to the fresh markets Southeast Asia.
If we’re being honest, the smell alone was enough to inspire me to book another trip. Whoever said smells are one of the biggest triggers for nostalgia and memories was SPOT on. I should send them soup to thank them.
Crock Pot Spicy Thai Curry Soup
Serves about 8. Slight adapted and inspired by Foodie Crush.
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Total time: About 5 hours & 10 minutes
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons thai red curry paste
- 2 cans (14 ounces) light coconut milk (I used Goya)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure clove honey
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless-skinless), sliced
- 3 sweet peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Chives for garnish
- About 3 cups Thai jasmine rice
*For added heat, add a few teaspoons of sriracha or additional thai curry paste.
- Mix everything (until the cilantro) into the basin of a crock pot/slow cooker. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well so the sauce/base of the soup is evenly distributed.
- Cover and cook on low for about 4 1/2 – 5 hours, or until chicken is tender.
- Serve soup with jasmine rice, cilantro, chives and bean sprouts.
Nutritional information per serving (about 1/2 cup of rice and 1/2 cup soup):
Fat: 13.65 grams
Carbohydrates: 31.25 grams
Protein: 57.61 grams
Fiber: 14.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 11