Labor day always comes so quickly, don’t you think?
The months leading up to Memorial Day always seem SO slow, they just inch by as we anxiously await the kick off of summer. Then it seems labor day just appears out of nowhere, the weekend that really “ends” summer, just as Memorial Day starts it. It’s funny how time seems to work, when you’re not counting down it just…blurs past you.
It’s been an interesting summer, I’ll say that. And even though I’ve wished for it to end numerous times, I’m still sad to see it go.
I’ve learned more about myself, my relationship and my friendships this summer than I ever have before. Faced with adversity and trauma, you really see parts of your soul and yourself that are often hidden. It’s scary, horrifying and intensely liberating.
I think everyone needs a summer like the one I had, because isn’t that what makes us stronger, better people? Being tested to our limits, being stretched apart and pushed around? I think so, at least. Even though it was hard, I’ll always look back on this summer and be proud of myself and how damn strong I turned out to be.
Easy tuna & kale pasta salad
Serves about 8.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 8 ounces shell pasta
- 1 package frozen kale, defrosted
- 4 pieces of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can tuna (in water), drained
- About 1/2 cup sun dried tomato pesto
- 1/3 – ½ cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add salt and pasta; cook until pasta is al-dente, about 8 minutes. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- Mix the tuna, kale, mozzarella and salt and pepper together. Mix the pasta with the sun dried tomato pesto and stir in the tuna and kale mixture.
- Top with bacon bits and serve immediately.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 9.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 49 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 18.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8