Today’s recipe has nothing to do with Cinco de Mayo. Or Mother’s Day. Or any holiday really. But that doesn’t make this pesto salmon salad any less special.
Sometimes the absolute best meals aren’t the ones you make for any holiday, but the ones you make on those random Tuesday nights. The nights after a really long day at the office where you were once again unappreciated at work and made to fetch coffee again for your pig-headed boss. The nights after your teenage daughter screamed “I hate you” after you told her that no, she can’t dye her hair purple and go to a rock concert downtown with a 23 year old 7-11 store clerk. The night where your husband called to say he’s working late, yet again, and you’re starting to question your entire marriage. That night where you’ve had a bottle of $3 dollar wine. The night where you’ve all but given up hope on yourself and your family.
That is the night you make this pesto salmon salad. Because it’s easy, it’s quick and it’s absolutely delicious. Even after a day like that, this salmon will make you smile. It’ll make you realize that you still got it. You may not be the world’s best mom, office manager or wife all the time, but you can cook like there’s no tomorrow. And sometimes we just need those little reminders, those little bits of courage to get through the rest of the crap we think we’re failing at.
Who knew a simple pesto salmon salad could offer so much perspective? The best meals I make aren’t for holidays or special occasions, but the ones that I make for myself when the rest of my world is all but crumbling down. When I’m barely hanging on by a thread, cooking is what jolts me back to life. And this pesto salmon salad with a fresh lemon viniagrette did just that for me yesterday.
And when sh** gets rough, I’ll take my wins wherever I can get them, even if they are something as simple as making a fantastic dinner.
Pesto Salmon Salad
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the salad:
- 2 small (4 ounce) salmon filets
- 3 tablespoons fresh pesto (use this recipe, it’s my favorite!)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parmesan
- 2 cups fresh greens (I used kale)
- 1 tomatillo, sliced
- 2 strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onions
- Lemon slices
For the dressing:
- 1/2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking dish with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place the salmon filets on the parchment paper. Top each filet with pesto and a sprinkle of cheese. Add salt and pepper.
- Bake salmon for about 8 – 10 minutes, or until lightly pink.
- Whisk the salad dressing ingredients together. Toss with mixed greens. Top the greens with salmon. Add 2 tablespoons onion, 1/2 tomatillo and 1 strawberry.
Nutritional information per salad:
Fat: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 4 grams
Fiber: 2.8 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8