We’re taking it back old school today friends, all the way back to 2011. I know, you can barely remember those days right? Times less complicated, when gas was only $3 a gallon, movie tickets just $9. Ah, the good ol’ days. The reason for this stroll down memory lane is to ressurect one of the top recipes on this blog and give it a bit of a face lift. Here’s the original recipe, for reference. Now, friends, meet the new and improved best low-fat chocolate chip cookies.
This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe. In fact, I make them so frequently, I’ve memorized the recipe. Which, given how many random facts, unnecessary trivia answers and endless Arrested Development quotes in my brain, is not an easy feat. However, given that these first graced the blog BEFORE I had a real camera, I knew I needed to give them the photoshoot they deserved, with natural light, real props and not an iPhone.
This latest batch is my absolute favorite. I chilled the dough for about 30 hours, making the end result super fluffy, super chewy and just super perfect. I can’t stress this enough, the longer you chill a drop cookie dough, the better your end result will be. You know when you bake cookies right after you mix the dough and they fall flat and crispy and pathetic? Never go through that again by chilling the dough.
One more tip! When your dough is done chilling, roll it into a ball in your palm before placing on the cookie sheet. This will lead to a more round, thicker cookie.
Other than swapping out the chocolate used (I subbed in mini chocolate chips this time) and cutting some of the sugar, the recipe remains the same as the one I first made over two years ago. When you find a cookie that tastes better than Nestle with just 4 grams of fat per cookie, you don’t change it much.
You definitely need to make these. Just don’t keep them around or you’ll eat 15 in one sitting. That didn’t happen to me though, I just hear it can happen. From a friend.
Low-fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yields about 24 – 26 cookies. Original recipe here.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Chill time: 24 – 36 hours
Cook time: About 11 minutes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy and creamed. Stir in the vanilla, egg and water. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough with saran wrap and chill for at least 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll dough into small balls and place one inch away from each other on the prepared baking dish. Bake for about 11 minutes, or until cookies are slightly browned. Chill on a wire cooling rack.
Nutritional information per cookie:
Fat: 4 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 1.29 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 3