I’m having one of those long forgotten perfect Saturday mornings. I woke up with a puppy sneezing in my face (it’s cuter when he looks like this). No alarms, horns or nagging husband shrugs, just a cute little puppy eager to start his day (of sleeping). I made my favorite coffee and started on breakfast immediately in a clean kitchen. This may be a normal Saturday morning for all of you, but I can’t tell you the last time I could just do this without rushing off to work or stressing over errands. I think this quintessential perfect Saturday is what led to these whole wheat rum raisin pancakes tasting so…well…perfect.
I’m a little sad brunch week is over. I’ve had such a blast whipping up lighter brunch recipes for all of you and I’ve envisioned us chatting over the computers, clinking pretty champagne flutes as we looked at the photos. In a perfect world that would happen, don’t you think? Well, either way, I’m totally pretending all of you are sitting right across from me as I sip my coffee and type up this amazing, super fluffy, a little boozy pancake recipe.
I thought long and hard about what kind of recipe I was going to end brunch week with. Should it be a fancy waffle with infused whipped cream? Or maybe an omelete or eggs florentine? Perhaps make some french toast casserole with some exotic spices? And then I thought why not just pancakes? I feel like pancakes are often overlooked for brunch menus and parties because of their simplicity and triviality. But trust me y’all, this recipe may be simple, but there’s nothing boring about this stack.
I mean, look at it! Does this look like something you’d get in one of those rusty, scratchy sounding, squeaky diners on the road somewhere? Add this to your brunch menu and watch your friends and family’s mouths drop. And, may I suggest a pairing? Serve each stack with a cup of amazing Nespresso espresso. Now that is what I envision when I picture the most perfect Saturday brunch.
Friends, I can’t tell you how much I am in love with my Nespresso U machine. I’m absolutely, 100% addicted to it. I promise it’ll change your life (and all of your brunches to follow). Lucky for one of you, the amazing folks at Nespresso are giving away a U machine! Make sure you enter to win one down below!
Whole Wheat Rum Raisin Pancakes
Serves about 3 (2 pancakes each). Recipe slightly adapted from Hub Pages.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 4 – 5 minutes
For the raisins:
- 3 1/2 snack size packages raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown rum (I used Brugal)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For the pancakes:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Chobani nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown rum *
- 1 egg, beaten
*If you don’t want to add rum to the pancake batter, omit the rum and add additional milk or add rum extract.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the raisins, rum and brown sugar together. Let sit for at least 15 – 20 minutes. Strain the raisins once they’ve soaked and discard the liquid.
- To make the pancakes: Using a wire mesh strainer, sift the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk, rum, yogurt and rum soaked raisins. Mix to combine. Stir gently. Do not overmix, it’s okay if you have a few chunks or lumps.
- Let batter sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Liberally spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Using an ice cream scoop, add about 2 scoops of batter into the center of the pan. Once the batter starts to bubble in the middle, flip over (about 2 minutes). Let cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with syrup, whipped cream and butter and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (2 pancakes):
Fat: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 70 grams
Fiber: 5.5 grams
Protein: 12.6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 9
NOW, for the really fun part! One of you lucky readers will win a Nespresso U machine!
I’m utterly obsessed with mine (as shown here and here). Because I miss Paris more than anything, having a cup of espresso every morning takes me back to the ways of France 🙂 To enter, simply fill out the prompts below!
Giveaway ends January 31st at midnight. Good luck!