Whole Wheat Rum Raisin Pancakes
Serves about 3 (2 pancakes each). Recipe slightly adapted from Hub Pages.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 4 – 5 minutes
For the raisins:
- 3 1/2 snack size packages raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown rum (I used Brugal)
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For the pancakes:
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons Chobani nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 cup + 2 1/2 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons brown rum *
- 1 egg, beaten
*If you don’t want to add rum to the pancake batter, omit the rum and add additional milk or add rum extract.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the raisins, rum and brown sugar together. Let sit for at least 15 – 20 minutes. Strain the raisins once they’ve soaked and discard the liquid.
- To make the pancakes: Using a wire mesh strainer, sift the flours, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk, rum, yogurt and rum soaked raisins. Mix to combine. Stir gently. Do not overmix, it’s okay if you have a few chunks or lumps.
- Let batter sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Liberally spray a skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium high heat. Using an ice cream scoop, add about 2 scoops of batter into the center of the pan. Once the batter starts to bubble in the middle, flip over (about 2 minutes). Let cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with syrup, whipped cream and butter and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (2 pancakes):
Fat: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 70 grams
Fiber: 5.5 grams
Protein: 12.6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 9