Yes, it’s real. Eggnog and Nutella. Together. Intimately. Sharing the same bed. Kissing all the time. Yep. These two saucy little lovers are together at last. And you know what? After how damn delicious a glass of this tastes, I’m going to say they are going to be lovahs for a LONG, LONG time.
See, I love eggnog.
Anyone else know what this is from? FAIRLY ODD PARENTS! Okay, moving on. I love nog, probably more than normal people should, but to me, it represents my childhood. Every year, we’d decorate the tree around my birthday and my dad would serve us all a big glass of eggnog. When I got older, I’d try to sneak some rum into my nog (sometimes successfully, other times without much avail) because the addition of rum takes eggnog to a whole new level. Even without liquor, every sip warms up my soul a little and reminds me of being a kid on Christmas.
Now, this here nog is not kid-friendly. It has a heaping jigger (or pour) of Captain Morgan spiced rum in it! This little creation is one of the recipes I made for the #CaptainHolidays competition Our challenge was to create three unique recipes using the rum and then host a party featuring our recipes! I wanted to do something with eggnog since it has so many holiday memories for me, but also something different. I mean, we have to impress Top Chef contestant Spike Mendelsohn, so it has to be awesome.
He’s actually the nicest man, we got to chat on the phone the other day and even with me blubbering like a moron, he was super sweet, charming and funny.
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but this stuff is legit. Each sip is creamy, thick and full of hazelnut and vanilla flavor. Plus, the addition of the rum gives each sip an amazing kick of spice. It’s like christmas in a mug, except better since it has less than 10 grams of fat and less than 150 calories than the regular kind. EVEN WITH Nutella! In all seriousness, I’ll probably never buy eggnog from the store again.
I’m going to serve this in a big bowl at our ugly Christmas sweater party on Saturday! And yes, I already have my sweater picked out, don’t you think it’s super stylish?
I’ll also be serving up my rummy appetizers and dessert there too. But don’t worry, I’ll share those next week. And Spike, I’ll say this again, if you’re around, you are more than welcome to come kick it at the party. I won’t tell the others.
Light Nutella Eggnog
Serves about 6. Recipe inspired by Food Network.
Prep time: >5 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups 1% milk
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or flour
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 tablespoons of Nutella
- 1/4 cup Captain Morgan spiced rum
- Heat 1 1/2 cups milk in a medium size saucepan. Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Add the pods and seeds to the milk. Bring to a simmer and let thicken, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs, egg yolk, sugar and flour/cornstarch together until fully mixed. Once milk mixture has thickened, add it to the bowl of egg mixture. Carefully whisk them together. Immediately pour the egg/milk mixture back into the saucepan. Let simmer again until thick, stirring constantly) until mixture thicks to the back of a spoon), or about 6 – 8 minutes. *Do not skip the stirring part, otherwise the mixture will congele.
- Once thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the cream to stop the cooking. Whisk in the Nutella until fully mixed. Place eggnog on an ice bath, whisking constantly, until cooled. *Do not skip this part either, or else the mixture will thicken too quick into a pudding like substance. Once chilled, whisk in rum and serve!
Nutritional information per serving (about 1/2 cup):
Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 10.3 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 3