I have no words. I, for once in my life, am rendered completely speechless by a recipe. I can’t muster a word about how amazing this low-fat red wine chocolate donut recipe is. I just…no matter what I say, I can’t do them justice.
I’ll try though. These donuts? They are what legends are made of. I’m pretty sure if I made these for my ill-fated audition I would have made it through. Not being cocky friends, these chocolate circles of just pure HAPPINESS are so good. You take a bite and your mouth immediately erupts in joy from the rich, chocolate flavor. BUT THEN! You’re welcomed with gooey, melted chocolate from the chocolate chips which melt in your mouth. THEN! You’re welcomed with the amazing taste of Red Velvet wine and well. guys. shit just gets REAL.
I mean, red wine. donuts. chocolate chips. Is there anything else in this world we need? No. I could sit in a box somewhere with these and be the happiest, most malnourished person ever. I’d marry these. I’d take them home to meet the parents, introduce them as the “love of my life” at social functions. I’d vacation with them. They are THAT MIND-BLOWINGLY delicious.
Oh, and if that’s just NOT ALL. There’s only 1 WEE tablespoon of canola oil. No butter. Just oil and 3 heaping tablespoons of Chobani’s 2% vanilla chocolate chunk yogurt that was included in the amazing box of goodies they sent me!
So one of these rich, sexy, damn right mouth-watering donuts has 6 grams of fat. Yes. You heard that right. And a mere 153 calories. (Which is 100 less than a normal donut!) I know. You want to do a dance and kiss the sky.
And wine. I used the Red Velvet wine from Cupcake. I wanted a wine with a little more distinct flavor than a regular red wine, and I think this definitely held up. You don’t taste a lot of wine, since the rich chocolate overpowers it. But you know when you have a bite of chocolate and a sip of wine, and get that luscious, red wine + chocolate aftertaste? That’s what these donuts taste like.
This means it’s 100% acceptable to have a glass of wine for breakfast when you eat this. I mean, you have to pair it. Duh.
Low-fat Red Wine Chocolate Donuts
Yields about 12 donuts. Recipe slightly adapted from Prevention RD.
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: About 9 minutes
For the donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose pastry flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 tablespoon Red Velvet wine (or any other kind)
- 3 tablespoons 2% chocolate vanilla chunk Chobani
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the chocolate icing:
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Gold decorative sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Liberally grease a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder until combined. Add in egg, skim milk, red wine, canola oil and vanilla. Stir until ingredients are fully combined. Add in chocolate chips.
- Fill donut cavities about 1/2 – 2/3 the way full with batter. Bake for 7 – 9 minutes, or until they bounce back after you touch them. Let cool completely and remove from the pan.
- To prepare the glaze, place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Set power to 50 and melt for 1 minute. Stir slightly and melt another 30 seconds. Repeat (stirring every 30 seconds) until chips are completely melted. Using a knife, frost each donut. Sprinkle with sprinkles and enjoy!
Nutritional information per donut with glaze:
Fat: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Fiber: 1 gram
Protein: 2.83 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4