I have to tell you something. Guys, I have absolutely no idea what “confetti corn” means. I even had to seek out help from The Google, without much avail mind you. All I know is this is what the food people are calling a dish like this, so I’m just going to roll with it. So, without further ado, I bring you light confetti corn WITH bacon.
Because I’m not sure how respectable of a person I would be if I called this what it is really is, or “HOLY FUC**IN’ AWESOME, MOUTH ORGASM, SEXY DELICIOUS CORN.” I think I’d probably get reported to the internet police and this little haven of mine would be shut down. So, confetti corn, you ambiguous, strange title, you win.
You could call this dish the worst name in the book and it would still taste like the heavens opened up and let you in. It’s creamy, it’s crunchy, it’s savory, it’s earthy, it’s bacony. This dish has absolutely EVERYTHING you could want in a corn dish, without the annoying kernels in your teeth or weird corn hair hanging from your cob aftermath.
Since I felt like a bad food blogger for eating soup and butternut squash in July, I decided to whip up something a bit more seasonal. So, I hipped and hopped to my nearest market de farmers and picked up a few ears of sweet corn.
Corn is one of my favorite ingredients of summer (after the cherry but before the zucchini) and I’ve YET TO USE IT. I know, I know. However, I’m 858060483308285% sure you’ll forgive me once you take a spoonful of this incredible confetti (er, corn casserole?) to the mouth.
And if you need more persuasion (why would you) IT HAS BACON! Not all that bacon, just half of it. The other half is going into something else I’m sharing next week!
Oh and the corn is cooked in little bits of bacon fat. AND each hefty serving of 3/4 cup still only has 245 calories and 7 WW points. Oh and it’s completely GLUTEN-FREE! Light confetti, you slay me.
GF Light Confetti Corn with Bacon
Serves about 7. Recipe adapted from Southern Living.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 4 pieces of low-sodium bacon
- 4 cups of sweet corn kernels (about 6 – 8 ears)
- 1/2 cup canned cream corn (gluten-free)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 4 ounce of neufchatel
- 3 ounces of soft goat cheese
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon water
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- Dash of dried oregano
- Cook bacon in a medium size skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon fat, tossing the rest out.
- Add onions to the bacon fat and cook until just fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add in garlic, pepper and corn and heat until corn is soft, about 6 more minutes.
- Add in creamed corn, cream cheese, goat cheese, salt, pepper, oregano, water and cream. Reduce heat to medium and cook until cheeses have melted and mixture is thick and creamy, about 6 more minutes.
- Chop bacon into small pieces. Garnish casserole with bacon and enjoy!
Nutritional information per 3/4 cup serving:
Fat: 12.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 27 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 8.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7