Skinny Bitch Tuesdays: Light Breakfast Scramble Recipe
I seriously can’t believe we have just one more week of July. That means it’s almost August. When means back to school ads are already filling up the airwaves. Which means just one thing for me…FALL IS CLOSE!! Fall brings cozy sweaters, boots, leaves, crisp air, apple cider and butternut squash. Lots and lots of butternut squash. But we certainly don’t have to wait for fall to enjoy this luscious squash. Nope. In fact, I used some of this melt in your mouth vegetable for today’s Skinny Bitch recipe, which I turned into a lower carb breakfast scramble!
I’ll be honest, the original recipe left much to be desired. It was kinda boring. Potatoes, cheese, onions. Blah. You can get that anywhere. So I decided to completely re-do the entire recipe and just make what I wanted.
This incredible breakfast scramble is out of this world delicious. It was inspired by this roasted butternut squash pasta, which is one of my fall staples. Guys, it’s hard to find a better pairing than bacon, goat cheese and butternut squash.
I love this dish because it’s simple. No fancy junk, just real simple and healthy food. I’ve been gorging on carbs lately so this lower carb bake is perfect for a girl trying to watch her figure. Or, you know, just finally lose this last WRETCHED 15 pounds. Dear pounds, JUST GO AWAY.
I know, I probably won’t lose it eating bacon and goat cheese, but despite my grilled cheese last week, I’ve been really limiting the amount of cheese I eat. Plus, I used low-sodium pork bacon. You can certainly omit the pork for turkey. I just used what I had on hand. Whatever bacon or meat you use, this breakfast scramble is the perfect way to start your day since it’s filled with protein and fiber.
Oh and it’s effing amazing. You could probably double the recipe and eat it for lunch too. Trust me, once you take a bite, you’ll probably do that anyway.
Light breakfast scramble recipe
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 6-9 minutes
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 pieces of low-sodium bacon
- 1 1/2 cups cooked diced butternut squash (I roasted mine using THIS RECIPE)
- Liberal dashes of salt and peppre
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 ounces soft goat cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to absorb grease.
- In another medium pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until fragrant and soft, about 2 minutes. Add pepper and cook another 3 -4 minutes. Add salt, pepper and oregano. Add in cooked squash and heat about 2 minutes longer, stirring well so the squash absorbs the seasoning and butter. Remove from heat. Season with additional salt or pepper to taste.
- Pour vegetable mixture into 2 bowls. Sprinkle each with 1 slice of bacon and 3/4 ounce of goat cheese. Garnish with additional oregano and enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (about 3/4 – 5/8 a cup)
Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 9.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5
Check out these other Skinny Bitches!
Stephanie: Eat, Drink, Love
Jennifer: PB & Peppers
Michelle: The Healthy Bites
When you say cooked squash how should it be cooked? or did i miss that part?