Is it just me, or did Monday sneak up WAY faster than normal this week? Actually, now that we are on the subject, August was a pretty quick little devil too. As much dismay as this may cause to some of my summer lovin’ readers, I’m ready for fall. I’m stocking up on pumpkin, slowly getting out my fall decorations and am buying sweaters, boots and the like in sheer anticipation. Since I’m going to be out-of-town the next, well, lifetime, I wanted to enjoy one last summer meal before it really starts to feel like fall (which will also be the time I’m back home). So, we hit the grill to make this grilled buffalo burger recipe!
And by WE, I mean E because as good as I am in any other part of the kitchen, the grill is a scary, scary place for me. Once we get a fancy grill (we have an old school tailgating Weber) I am going to tackle it. For now, I think E loves being the master of the grill so I let him 🙂
Now, these burgers, they aren’t your ordinary burger. Nope. As you so coyly deducted from the title, they are made from BUFFALO! Which is a new meat for me. I’ve never had it. While at the farmers market on Saturday, we saw a vendor selling buffalo patties. E loves them so he bought 4 of them. I always get a little apprehensive about new meats. I’m not a huge fan of gamey meats (like duck, rabbit, elk) so I was super nervous it would taste really gamey.
Friends, it’s not gamey AT ALL. It tastes exactly like beef, just a little leaner. And by a little leaner, I mean it has between 70 – 90% less fat than ground beef and contains about 50% less cholesterol. A burger with half the fat but all the flavor? Touchè, buffalo!
Now, you’re probably wondering what that guacamole looking stuff right above the lettuce is. Fair question. And no, it’s not guacamole. It’s something far more wonderful.
It’s a creamy avocado spread made WITH GOAT CHEESE! What a surprise ending there folks, who would have predicted I make anything with goat cheese. As good as the burger is, this stuff gave it such immense flavor. Creamy, tangy, cheesy. This is what burger legends are made of.
My husband grills a fabulous burger, but I know how to top it.
Garden fresh tomatoes, thinly sliced onions and baby arugula. Plus a heaping spoonful of avocado goat cheese spread. That’s really all. No need for fancy sauces or bacon (I know!) Just fresh stuff piled high in between a toasted bun. Not a bad end of summer dinner, not bad at all.
Buffalo burgers with avocado goat cheese spread
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 14 minutes
For the burgers:
- 4 buffalo patties (about 16 ounces total)
- 4 light white sesame seed buns
- 1/2 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of baby arugula
For the spread:
- 1 medium ripe avocado, seeded and pitted
- 4 ounces of soft goat cheese
- 2 – 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- Preheat your grill.
- Once grill is hot, place patties down. Grill about 5 – 7 minutes on each side, or until the insides reach 140 degrees F (for a medium rare burger).
- While burgers are grilling, prepare spread. Place avocado, goat cheese, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse on low until creamy. Add additional lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Apply spread on the bun and top with the burger, lettuce, tomato and arugula. Enjoy!
Nutritional information per burger (with about 2 tablespoons spread):
Fat: 17.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 29.25 grams
Fiber: 2.8 grams
Protein: 35 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 10