Happy Friday guys! It’s not just Friday, it’s Memorial Day Weekend Friday, which means a LONG weekend for many of us! Many of us doesn’t include me since I work for myself. Boo. Either way, thought I’d kick off the weekend with an AWESOME breakfast that’s delicious and vegetarian, tofu scramble with good ol’ American cheese. Guys, it really is as mouth watering as it looks.
I was chosen to do a post making up a recipe using Kraft Singles by Foodbuzz and I got really excited. Growing up, Kraft Singles were it. I mean, who didn’t love the bright orange squares their mom would adorn their sandwiches with, mix in with their eggs or top their baked potatoes?
My mom, as I’ve alluded to before, is an incredible cook. So we didn’t eat a whole lotta grilled cheese. However, when my mom was away, my dad would whip us up some gooey grilled cheeses and it was a like a holiday for us. We’d also sneak slices onto our mashed potatoes too. Even now, at the ripe age of…20 something, I still have to have a good ol’ Kraft single when I’m feeling a little nostalgic. Except now, I do weird things like put it on tofu.
Now, I don’t eat it as much because, let’s get real, it’s not the best thing on the planet for you. However, having just one slice will only set you back 60 calories, 4.5 grams of fat and will also give you 4 grams of protein. Not bad for just one slice. Because one can’t survive on just cheese alone, I paired it perfectly over a skinny tofu scramble.
I love tofu, it’s my go-to now. It’s extremely low in fat, calories and sodium and is full of healthy, plant protein. 1/5 of a normal package has 7 grams of protein and just 70 calories. Because it’s so flavorless on it’s own, I sauteed it with shiitake mushrooms, chives, home grown onions and some spice.
Guys, it’s so good, so healthy and SO filling. Not only that, it’s great for Memorial Day. Because y’all know, there’s nothing more American than American cheese. [Said in my best deep Southern drawl]
Tofu Scramble with Kraft Singles
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 – 7 minutes
- 1/2 bagel (or bread, English muffin, etc]
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped tofu
- 3/4 tablespoon skim milk
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 small chives, finely chopped
- 4 shiitake mushroom caps, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 slice White American Kraft Singles
- Heat olive oil in a small pan over medium high heat. Add onions, mushrooms and chives; cook until soft, about 3 – 4 minutes. Add in tofu, milk, chili powder and salt and pepper, cook until liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place tofu & vegetable mixture on the toasted 1/2 bagel and top with the cheese. Serve warm and enjoy!
I told you it was easy. Plus, breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so stock up on protein!
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 8