So, remember how I said yesterday’s post was going to be really short b/c I had 1,000 things to do? Well, this post will be like, half that size because as I’m typing, I’m also having a slight pre-flight induced anxiety attack. Ugh. I really wish I could just GET OVER THIS. However, talking about it won’t help so let’s talk about something else, like strawberry bread!
And not just any ol’ strawberry bread friends, WHOLE WHEAT strawberry bread made with brown sugar. It’s the perfect breakfast bread.
So, I have no idea why this happened (I’m no food scientist) but the brown sugar cooked into the bread in a way that it almost gave the edges a sugary, crispy kind of crunch. It’s unexplainable but makes the bread 100,000 times more delectable.
A little crunchy, deliciously soft and with the perfect amount of fresh strawberry taste. Given how much I love those plump, juicy berries, it’s a shocker I haven’t made a strawberry bread before! It’s definitely on my list again, for sure.
Now, if you don’t mind, I’m going to go scream into a pillow to prepare for my flight at 3.
Whole Wheat Strawberry Bread
Yields about 8 slices
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (can sub in applesauce too!)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degress F. Grease a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt and baking soda together in a large mixing bowl. In another bowl, beat eggs with oil. Slowly pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until fully combined. Gently fold in strawberries.
- Pour mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Nutritional information per slice:
Fat: 11 grams
Carbohydrates: 36.5 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 7