Eat Skinny: Spicy Peach Jam & Turkey Panini [+ Giveaway Winner!)
I’m now taking sponsors! Want the chance to reach over 5,000 people a day? Email me at email@example.com for an early bird rate!
Happy Wednesday, y’all!! It’s a little overcast/rainy/blech here today but that won’t kill my spirits! For one, a video I made for the Dr. Oz show is GOING TO BE ON THE DR. OZ SHOW TODAY!!! I entered a healthy contest to makeover take out food (I made this delicious szechaun chicken) and they are featuring the video! I wasn’t picked to come to the studio but they are still featuring my video!
And that’s not all. I sent in my final revisions, content and payment to my amazing website designer, Two Brunettes, which means my brand new, amazingly beautiful site is that much closer to being launched! Want a sneak peek?
That’s all you are getting. But OMG. It’s beautiful. So, now, let’s find out who the amazingly lucky winner of the box of Rise bars and 3 GoodBelly drink coupons is. And the winner is….
OR….Nelly from Cooking with Books! Congrats love!! Email me (email addy in my about me) so I can grab your email!
Now, let’s talk JAM!! Or better yet, super spicy jam.
Ever since I made this delicious strawberry jam, I’ve been on a jam making kick. I’ve made all the fruits I can imagine and now my fridge is stocked with fresh, delectable jams. However, I had a craving a few weeks ago for something spicy. (Paired with my daily cravings of shredded chicken and cheese, you’d think I was pregnant). So, I grabbed peaches and I grabbed jalapenos and I went to town.
Don’t worry, I didn’t use ALL of those jalapeños. That would be like Man Vs. Food crazy. I just used 2 and saved the others for another spicy concoction I’m working on 🙂 Muahahah! Now, you can certainly use a hotter pepper if you want some serious heat, like a habenero or what not and then I’ll call you crazy and move on with my day. Because friends? This jam is spicy enough as is!
It’s not too spicy that it’s not good though, don’t get that misconception. Paired with a cheesy, turkey panini, it’s absolute perfection. The melted swiss cheese, the warm, crunchy bread, the freshly shaved turkey, it’s the perfect take on a deli sandwich. And no, as you can tell, it’s not yo’ mamas turkey sandwich.
You can definitely use shredded chicken (surprisingly i did not) roast beef, pastrimi, whatever your favorite lunch meat is, throw it between two slices of bread, slap some of this jam on it and call it a day.
Since the creation of this jam, I’ve made a variety of this panini about 4 times. I just can’t get enough of it! I love the more mild ingredients paired with the super hot jam, it’s just so perfect. If you love spice and you love gooey cheesy paninis, you’re going to love this. (and if you don’t? Well, I’m not sure we can be friends anymore).
I kid. I kid. Sort of.
Spicy Peach Jam Turkey Panini
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE.
Yields 1 sandwiches & 2 cups of jam
Prep time: 10 – 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
For the panini:
- 2 pieces of bread (I used whole wheat, but a thicker bread is preferred)
- 6 slices of freshly shaved, low sodium turkey breast
- 1 slices of part-skim swiss cheese
For the jam:
- 4 peaches, chopped
- 2/3 – 1 cup sugar
- 2 jalapenos, chopped with seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Prepare jam by chopping the peaches into small pieces. Place in a deep saucepan. Chop jalapenos (wearing gloves!), seeds included, into bite size size pieces and add to the saucepan.
- Add sugar to the mixture and heat on medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved. Add in lemon juice. Then reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until thick. While jam cooks, sterilize your jar and lid by boiling in hot water. Once jam is thick, remove from heat. Use a ladle to spoon jam into the jar. Let chill for at least 30 minutes before use.
- To make the panini, spread about 1 1/2 tablespoon of jam onto one side of the bread. Layer turkey and cheese. Add other slice. Place on a panini maker or George Forman and press until cheese is melty, about 4 minutes. DON’T PRESS FOR TOO LONG. Otherwise, the bread will get soggy, which is gross.
- Serve up and enjoy!
Nutritional information per panini:
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 1.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
Protein: 22 grams
Weight Watchers points: 8
And ooh, spicy peach jam sounds fantastic on a panini...
I love paninis, and this looks wonderful! Great combo of flavors :)