It’s no surprise that I LOVE BLUEBERRIES.
These gorgeous little blue fruits have shown their face in many of my recipes, including these vegan muffins, this fluffy stack of pancakes, this creamy ice cream and in these mini french toasts, to name a few. Not only are these berries delicious in baked goods, they are just plain delicious on their own.
Not only are they gorgeous (LOOK AT THEM! Let them win you over with their striking good looks), that whole bowl has 0 Weight Watchers points. Zilch. Natta. NEIN. No points = happy Claire. (And more points I can use for wine, duh).
Well, my supermarket de jour must have picked up on my obession with these blue little fruits because they had a buy one get one free this past weekend! One package, clearly, went straight into my mouth. The other package made this.
Blueberry muffin cake! Honestly, the only thing better than a muffins is a piece of cake.
Am I right or am I right? What makes this cake oh-so-delicious is how moist, fluffy and dense it is. Plus, the little crunch you get from the sugar topping provides the perfect textural contrast. Each bite is soft, tart and sweet, with just a hint of lemon zest.
Paired with a cup of jo’ and and your morning paper (or morning Facebook), this is the definition of a perfect breakfast. Plus, it’s super low-fat and made with a mix of whole wheat flour, so it’s better for you! And really, it has a big batch of these.
Do you really need to know anything else?
Blueberry Muffin Cake
Yields about 12 slices
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 – 40 minutes
For the cake:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup AP flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 3/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flours, sugars, salt and baking powder. Make a well in the middle. Pour oil, applesauce, milk, vanilla and eggs into the well. Mix batter well. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish. In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, white sugar, flour and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or knives, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly (will resemble sand). Shake mixture over the top of the batter until evenly coated.
- Bake cake for 35 – 50 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry. Serve warm and enjoy!
Nutritional information per slice:
Fat: 7 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Carbohydrates: 40 grams
Protein: 6.5 grams