Meal Makeover Valentine's Edition: Mini Blueberry Lemon French Toast Cups
Longest. title. EVER. [And latest blog post ever!] I apologize for that. However, I do not apologize for the delicious, sweet nothings I’m about to lay before your sparkling little eyes here.
This, this little cocette filled of wonder, happiness and love is what dreams are made of. Well, not normal people’s dreams. My twisted, food obsessed fat kid dreams.
Yes, I dream of sugar plums, wine and cocettes filled with french toast, WHAT OF IT.
Given the fact that I watched a horrifically sad movie last night (admist a bottle of sparkling wine, I don’t know how that happened), a dream filled with sweet, custardy, tart blueberry goodness is fine in my book. Definitely beats nightmares that leave me sweaty and unkempt.
And look at this! Look at how cute in the little cocette! How could one not love dreaming of these as they nestled in their bed?
Even if your dreams are not made of food, these single serving cocettes are the perfect addition to your Valentine’s Day brunch menu! Served perfectly portioned in a mini cocette, these are easy to eat in bed!
Plus, I made these much lighter by using light brie cheese, light cream and whole wheat bread, which save you 100 calories and 5 grams of fat!
Unlike my gluten free cake, the are no weird or strange secret ingredients that make this to die for. Just the use of super fresh ingredients, like these farmers market blueberries!
Oh, and of course, along with the fresh berries, each cocette is made with a whole lotta love.
It’s Valentine’s Day inspired, you didn’t think I could go a whole post without being lovey, dovey cheesy, right?
Mini Blueberry French Toast Cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Chill time: 1 hour
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
For the french toast:
- 2 pieces of whole wheat bread, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup of light cream
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ounces of laughing cow brie
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Dash of cinnamon
For the syrup:
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 lemon, zested
- Grease two mini cocettes with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1/2 piece of bread into the bottom of each cocette. Pour 1/4 cup blueberries and 1 ounce cheese over the bread in each cocette. Cover with remaining bread.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, light cream, lemon juice, vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour mixture over each cocette. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Once mixture has chilled, remove from fridge and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Then bake, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes, or until bread is toasted.
- While mixture bakes, prepare syrup by mixing the corn starch and water on medium high heat until smooth. Add blueberries, lemon and maple syrup and cook until sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Once cups are finished baking, top with the blueberry syrup and enjoy!
Nutritional information per cup:
Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 40 grams
Fiber: 15 grams
Protein: 16 grams
Weight Watchers points plus points: 8
PS, I want those little dishes. So. Much.
Choc Chip Uru
Latest: Three Layer Brownie Cheesecake