Like That? Try This: Creamy Avocado Pasta w/ Chicken Recipe
AND BACON [well low-sodium, low fat turkey bacon, that is]! Sorry, I feel that was really important to point out. Not like y’all wouldn’t love a creamy avocado pasta anyway, but I added bacon too. Which, as you know, makes everything taste like rainbows and butterflies.
Although I’d glady throw bacon into everything I eat (bacon smoothie? bacon pancake? bacon coffee?) the reason behind the addition wasn’t chance. Actually, it was due to a bit of Twitter stalking! See, I had plans to make this creamy pasta ever since I ran across the original recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod. It was bookmarked and ready to go.
However, then I saw one of my friends, Maria, tweet that she liked avocado pasta but it needed bacon or tomatoes. And alas, I made a mental to note to add bacon. Which, I’ll argue, made this dish.
But then, amidst a daydream of this pulled chicken BBQ and chicken ragu, I got another idea. Hey, why don’t I add shredded chicken too that’s been slow cooking for 5 hours? Wouldn’t that just be GRAND?
You know what folks, IT WAS! I have this problem where I literally can not stop myself from eating slow cooked shredded chicken. I have no freakin’ clue why. I mean, guys, it’s just chicken. With a dash of salt and pepper and a little chicken broth. But I don’t know, there’s some magical component to it that makes it nearly impossible not to eat. Mixed with avocado and pasta and I’m one very happy girl.
This is the perfect meal if you are craving alfredo pasta but don’t want to eat 50 grams of fat in one sitting. Hey, I don’t blame you. So I tell you, if you LIKE alfredo but want a lighter, creamy pasta dish, TRY THIS.
I think all the world’s problems could be solved if everyone just sat down to this creamy, decadently, super delicious dinner. Don’t you?
Oh and don’t worry friends when you see the nutritional information, the fat grams may be high, but you have to remember, it’s HEALTHY fat. Avocados are loaded with monounsaturated fat, which has been shown to fight heart disease and lower LDL (or bad, evil cholesterol). So, keep that in mind.
Now go make this! For dinner tonight? Or, be like me, and eat it for breakfast. Because that works too.
Creamy Avocado Pasta with Chicken (and BACON!)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes [+ 5 hours for chicken]
For the chicken:
- 1 large 8 ounce chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the pasta:
- 3 cups spaghetti noodles, cooked
- 1 1/2 avocado, pitted and scooped out of skin
- 3 – 4 tablespoons light cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- *2 pieces of crispy cooked turkey bacon (low sodium)
- Place chicken breast, chicken broth, salt and pepper in a slow cooker and set on low heat. Let cook for at least 5 hours, or until chicken is easily shredded. Once done, shred using two forks and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, place avocados, cream, lime juice, salt and pepper. Blend until soft and creamy. If mixture is too chunky, add additional cream. Add additional lime juice to taste.
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, pasta and avocado sauce together. Crumble bacon on top and enjoy!
*Bacon is totally optional. If you’d prefer to cut it out, the pasta is just as good!
Nutritional information per 3/4 cup serving:
Fat: 22.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 38 grams
Protein: 16.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points Plus Points: 11
PS. My hubby would add bacon to everything as well but the Doc said "Oh no you don't!" :) YAY! one for my side.