I’m a creature of habit. As described here, and as shown by my nervous apprehension to do/try anything daring (read: poached egg). I’m not in a rut, per say, but I do mostly the same things day in and day out and, despite being a recipe creator, flock to right around the same types of dishes. As I laid in bed last night, reading Mr. Bourdain, I had a eureka moment. I’m going to make something I’ve never made before EVER SINGLE DAY this week.
Am I crazy? Probably. But had I not had this idea, these beautiful little egg cups would have seized to exist.
And I very well couldn’t live with myself if I was the reason you could not enjoy these crispy, yet soft, decadent and amazing little quiches.
I’ve never made a quiche. Ever. And before last year at my bridal shower, I’d never eaten one either. I know, I know. How the FREAK have I lived 26 years on this lovely planet earth without enjoying such a delicacy?
Not only are quiches ah-mazing, these mini versions are just the cutest. I’m a fan of mini anything, not only for the cute factor, but for the built in portion control factor too! When things are smaller, like these shooters and these ice-cream cakes, it is much easier to control how much I eat. And, seriously, how flippin’ cute?
If you aren’t as wowed by bite size food than I am, just make these for the taste. Which is out of this world. Mmmmmk?
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.
Mini Spinach and Turkey Bacon Quiches
Yields 6 quiches
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 20 minutes
- 6 pieces of whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of light cream
- 1 cup of frozen chopped spinach
- 4 pieces of turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated fresh mozzarella
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a muffin tin liberally with cooking spray.
- Using a round cookie cutter that equals the size of the bottom of the muffin tin, cut out a hole in the middle of the bread. Place the circle bread on the bottom of 6 muffin cavities.
- Place spinach in a microwave safe dish and cook on high for 3 minutes, or until defrosted. Let cool for 5 minutes. Evenly distribute spinach, chopped onions, garlic and cheese among the 6 pieces of bread.
- Mix eggs, cream, salt, pepper and parsley in a medium bowl. Using a scoop, pour egg mixture evenly over the spinach cups, careful not to overflow. Sprinkle crumbled bacon on top and bake for at least 20 minutes.
- Let quiches cool (they will sink in a bit) and enjoy!
Such perfect little quiches for breakfast. or lunch. or a party! (You could eat them in a hat, with a cat!)
Nutritional information per quiche: 185 calories, 8 grams of fat, 15 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber and 7 grams of protein.