Did y’all know that it’s Food Day today? Food Day is a day geared towards inspiring people to “eat real food” that is affordable, healthy and made in a sustainable way. Talk about my perfect day, right? This cake recipe couldn’t have come at a better time because it’s made with all whole, organic and healthy ingredients! Wanna participate today and you don’t have time to cook or visit a local farmers market or farm today? Luckily, there are hundreds of events going on all over the world today promoting organic and sustainable eating! Check out this site for a listing of events and how you can coordinate your own Food Day!
Now, in honor of this fabulous day, let’s talk about food! More specifically, this orgasmic low fat apple cake I made on Saturday.
I really hate to toot my own horn, but this cake was OUT OF THIS WORLD. So moist, so flavorful and so friggin’ easy. Plus, it’s really low fat and healthy, due to the fact I added no additional butter or oil and used whole wheat flour, farm fresh organic eggs and organic applesauce.
I knew this was a keeper recipe when it was gone in less than 6 hours. The entire thing. Demolished. I owe much of that to my husband, who, if he likes something, will eat ALL OF IT. I’ve already been asked to make it again. That, my friends, is winning.
Low Fat Apple Cake
Yields: 1 8inch by 12inch cake [about 8 slices]
Prep time: 12 minutes
Cook time: 32-35 minutes
What You’ll Need:
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium apples, finely chopped and seeded
- 1 large organic egg
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup organic applesauce
- Cooking spray
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar
How to Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat your baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt with a whisk. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl, mix white sugar, apples, chopped nuts, egg and applesauce. Stir until combined. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Pour mixture into the greased pan.
- In a seperate bowl, mix brown sugar and white confectionars sugar together with a fork. Sprinkle mixture over the apple cake and bake for 32-35 minutes or until cake is browned.
Nutritional information per slice of cake: 200 calories, 5 grams of fat, 29 grams of carbohydrates and 3 grams of protein.