Yes, you! You tall & jovial legume with the top hat & monocle. I have some news and you aren’t going to like it. I have found a salty, sassy snack that tastes better than your peanuts. (Yep, that’s what she said). In addition to tasting better, they are better for you. So, I’m sorry Mr. Peanut, this snack may give you a run for your money.
These spicy roasted chick peas are the bomb.com. I owe this delicious snack to Kelly from Eat Yourself Skinny. I saw the post on her blog yesterday and IMMEDIATELY knew I had to make it. When it comes to salty snacks, these knock peanuts, cashews and chex mix out of the water. They are spicy, crunchy and make the perfect on the go snack. But like any small snack, you need to be mindful of how many you eat. As in, you could easily eat 2 cups of these during a 20 minute car ride or during a rerun of Seinfeld. (The one where George buys the sweatsuit made entirely of velvet, remember that one?)
Which may or may not have happened to me this evening, I’ll never tell.
Spicy Roasted Chick Peas
What You’ll Need:
- 2 cups of chick peas
- 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of Greek seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour 2 cups of chick peas into a medium saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil. Boil continually for about 5 more minutes. Take peas off heat and let sit in water for an hour.
- Once peas have sat in water, drain in a colander.
- Pour 1/2 tablespoon of oil onto a baking sheet, spread around to grease. Mix peas with remaining olive oil and herbs.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes (shorter for soften peas, longer for crunchier). After the first 2o minutes, shake the pan or move peas around with a spoon to mix them up.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!
My only piece of advice is to not let Mr. Peanut see you eating them. I hear he can be a d*ck when he’s angry.