I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a change in seasons in my entire life. As you know, fall is my favorite for many reasons (most of which any #basic white girl will tell you). Even though PSLs, sweaters, boots and foliage top the list, another big reason has me equally as excited. This change of seasons bring with it a brand new JOB for me. I may have alluded to it in another post, but it’s 100% official.
And guess what? It’s ALL travel. Every single day I get to write narratives on incredible places, like Cuba, Italy and Malta, for incredible print publications (that I’ll share soon). Not only that, I get to write copy for an incredible variety of amazing clients (that I’ll also share later – they are HUGE!). I get to up my travel with these awesome clients, will finally have my name (and photos!) in print and only have to drive a quick 8 minutes to get to work.
I don’t know how I go so lucky with this one, but I did. I’m still pinching myself that this is my real life.
All of that exciting news aside, I’m here to share an amazing new recipe with you. It’s literally fall in a big, hearty bowl. Not only will this buffalo chicken chili warm your bones on these (incredible!) brisk nights, it’s the ultimate game-day meal. Instead of messy wings, make a big batch of this chili and enjoy it with your favorite lager while you watch hours of Football.
Or, if you’re me, enjoy it with your favorite wine while you catch up on episodes of American Horror Story. Whatever tickles your fancy!
Chunky Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili
Serves about 6.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 6 – 8 hours
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 15 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 20 ounce can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup buffalo sauce*
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts**
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Fresh cilantro or celery leaves for garnish
*Add more for added heat
**Can use boneless, skinless chicken wings as well
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic and cook until slightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add in the onions, carrots and celery and cook until just softened, about 6 – 7 minutes.
- Rinse the chicken breasts and place into the bottom of the crock pot. Add the cooked vegetables, drained beans, chicken broth, diced tomatoes, buffalo sauce, chili powder and salt and pepper. Stir the ingredients together.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 1/2 hours. Remove chicken from crock pot, shred and add back.
- Cook another hour. Remove from crock pot and serve with chunks of fresh blue cheese and garnish.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 12.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 27.2 grams
Fiber: 9 grams
Protein: 28 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7