Today is most definitely a double (or triple) Venti coffee kind of days. I don’t know why, but I can’t get my shit together this week. I’m tired, grumpy, fatigued and lazy. I’m sure it has to do with my job, the endless slew of foster pups we bring in and a major case of post-trip depression, but it’s really making everyday life a little difficult.
That’s why you haven’t seen more of me around these parts. I’m still alive, don’t stress – but it’s hard finding the energy to write about food lately. Not that I don’t love it – food is still my number one passion. It’s just I can’t find the words or the energy to fill a blog post.
But you’re not here to read about that – you’re here for a recipe. Luckily I’ve got a really good one of those for you 🙂 It’s filled with things I just can’t get enough of – like radishes, pasta and broccoli rabe. I could seriously eat these things everyday and never tire of them.
Which is strange given I used to HATE radishes. Honestly, it was the only vegetable I couldn’t stand for 25 years of my life. Then one day, i accidentally put them on a salad and freaking punched myself as soon as I crunched into their crisp, peppery shell. I was so in love, I bought some that very night and crunched them like an apple. My friend has also introduced me to the roasted radish dipped in butter and I’m never going back. It’s honestly the most amazing combination of flavors.
Just like this pasta. It’s so easy, you can whip up any day of the week. Plus, it’s perfect with a glass (or 10) of wine on a lazy summer night. Plus, it’s just so darn pretty right? It’s the dish to make for your friends when you want to impress them but don’t have a lot of time or money. (aka me every single day).
Radish & Broccoli Rabe Pasta
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 15 minutes
- 12 ounces ziti noodles
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, chopped
- 4 ounces proscuitto
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 teaspoons pine nuts
- About 4 fresh radishes, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil. Add pasta and a dash of salt. Cook until al dente about 8-10 minutes. Rinse in cold water and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic; cook about 3 – 4 minutes. Add in chopped broccoli rabe. Cook on medium heat until broccoli rabe is wilted and softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
- Carefully chop the proscuitto. Toss the broccoli rabe with the pasta and mix with tongs. Add Parmesan cheese, proscuitto and additional salt and pepper. Slice the turnips into thin slices.
- Serve pasta with a dash of pine nuts and thinly sliced turnips.
Nutritional information per serving:
Fat: 17 grams
Carbohydrates: 69 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 20 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 12