I’ve never needed, or wanted, a margarita more in my life than I do right now. Work has been utterly crazy time. I’ve worked almost every single day this week (weekend included) and I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t writing content about the US states, territories and cities.
However, that’s not the worst part of my work. My camera, also know as my LIFE, was knocked into the tidal basin on Saturday morning but an ignorant tourist. It all happened so fast and by the time I actually registered what happened, my camera was already halfway sunk into the murky waters of the Potomac. After desperate calls to the park police, many choice words said about the idiot group of tourists and an obscene amount of tears shed, I was told there was nothing that could be done.
Yes, losing my camera SUCKS big time, but the worst part of the whole disaster was losing my SD card, which had hundreds of photos not yet uploaded to my computer, including four amazing recipes I worked my ass off on a few weekends ago. Yes, I can remake them and re-shoot them, but it’s hard when I’m working all weekend for my full-time job.
It just stinks. That camera has followed me to 30 countries, to the top of Machu Picchu, through the desert plains of Kenya, on tall rugged mountains in the Philippines and all through the amazing landscape of New Zealand. It’s made thousands of flights, been shoved in hundreds of flight containers and even more car trips. And the way i finally lose it is 10 minutes from my house. I guess that happens though. Don’t most accidents occur a few miles from your house? As much as I miss it, I’m already in the process of buying a new one (which I needed anyway) so i’m trying to find the silver lining.
In the meantime, here’s one of the last photos taken with my beloved. Let’s all take a few moments of silence for this fallen solider, okay?
Creamy Coconut & Berry Margaritas
Serves about 4 – 6.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup chilled coconut milk
- 1/2 cup light cranberry raspberry juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- Zest and juice from one large orange
- Dash of freshly cracked sea salt
- Fresh berries as garnish
- Sugar for the rim
- Scoop the coconut cream from the top of the can and place into a blender (you should get about 1/2 cup). Fill the rest of the blender with the chilled coconut milk (until you get about 1 cup total, including the cream).
- Add in the sugar, cranberry/raspberry juice, strawberries, raspberries, tequila, triple sec, zest and juice from the orange and a small dash of sea salt. Blend on high until mixture is thick and creamy.
- Chill slightly before serving. Pour into mason jars and garnish with fresh berries.
Nutritional information per margarita:
Fat: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 20.6 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 1 gram
Weight Watchers Points: 4