Sesame, Soy & Honey Glazed Chicken Wings
Remember my last post where I talked about how I watched the movie Chef and instantly felt inspired to cook? Well, these incredible sesame, soy & honey glazed chicken wings also came from that giant bout of inspiration. In fact, I made 4 recipes that day in the span of just 3 hours.
It was pure magic, my friends. Sadly such bouts of productivity have since disappeared, but I’m hoping for another big day so I can get back on track with my blog, my job and all of my freelance obligations.
There just isn’t enough time in the day to get everything I need done. Actually, scratch that, there isn’t enough DAYLIGHT in the day for me to get everything done. If I could just get home from work and have amazing light until 11pm, that would be awesome. Sadly, enough in the middle of summer we only have light until 7.
I think in order to get my life in order, I should just move to Iceland. During the summer, they have daylight until 2 – 3 am. It’s utterly insane yet completely amazing. I remember walking to dinner at 8pm and it was sunnier than it was at 3pm.
I think I could probably change the world if I had that much daylight. Until then, I’ll dream of my new life in Reykjavik while still trapped in Washington, DC.
Sesame & Soy Glazed Chicken Wings
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves about 5 – 6. Adapted and inspired by Six Sisters Stuff and Damn Delicious.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
- 3 pounds frozen chicken wings
- 1/2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sweet ginger garlic spice mix (I used this brand)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 chives, chopped
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Grease the basin of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Toss the wings into the crock pot.
- In a large bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, shallot, sriracha, sweet garlic spice mix and one chopped green onion. Pour 3/4 of the sauce over the wings.
- Whisk the corn starch with 1/2 tablespoon water. Mix with remaining sauce to thicken.
- Cook on low for about 4 – 5 hours, or until the wings are fork tender.
- Once done, remove from crock pot and place in a bowl. Top with remaining sauce, chopped green onions and sesame seeds.
Nutritional information per serving (about 4 wings):
Fat: 26 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
Fiber: 1.2 grams
Protein: 32 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 13
A) do you place the wings frozen or defrosted into the crockpot
B) for the sweet ginger garlic spice mix- do you have an alternative mix for it? I have ginger powder and garlic powder but didn't want to go hunting for another bottle to add to the spice rack.
Thank you! :-)