Stuffed Crust Pepperoni Pizza
Today’s recipe, my friends, is a very indulgent one. But it’s pouring rain, dark and dreary and oh so chilly here, so let’s just have a little pizza today, okay?
Not just regular pizza, this one has a stuffed crust. In my defense, though, the cheese stuffed in the crust is part-skim, so that counts, right? I actually originally made this for work but they decided against another pizza recipe (which is crazy to me, because one can never have enough pizza) so instead of letting a perfectly good recipe go to waste, I thought I’d share it with you. I mean, what kind of person would I be if I let a cheesy and delicious pizza recipe go to the trash? A bad person, that’s who.
Plus, I’m kind of toying with the idea of changing things up around here. But that is something y’all already know, right? In addition to sharing a travel spotlight every week (starting tomorrow, Travel Thursday!) I’m thinking I might share a fun and indulgent recipe a few times a month too. Because sometimes, I eat stuffed crust pizza and I definitely don’t feel bad about it.
This blogging world is hard, sometimes. You have so many people telling you to stick to one niche and never branch out. And then there are others who say blog whatever you want since it’s your online world. I’m constantly torn between sharing recipes that I love to make (which aren’t healthy at all) and ones that are lower fat, lower calorie and fit with my whole theme.
But to be honest, I’m so different than I was when I started this blog. I’ve replaced my desire to get a masters in nutrition with one to attend culinary school abroad. I still eat healthfully most of the time and love making healthy foods delicious, but I also love baking with butter and stuffed my pizza crust with cheese.Sometimes I’m not sure what to do and where to go with this blog. So in the meantime, I’m just going to have a little fun and share every amazing recipe I make with you guys, even if it’s not skinny, healthy or low fat.
Because who wants to eat like that EVERY DAY? (Says the girl eating a spoonful of peanut butter for breakfast).
Stuffed Crust Pepperoni Pizza
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves 8 – 10.
Prep time: 10 – 12 minutes
Cook time: 16 – 18 minutes
For the crust:
- 1 package of active dry yeast (0.25 ounce package)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt
- 7 part skim mozzarella cheese sticks
For the toppings:
- 1/2 cup your favorite pizza sauce
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 16 – 20 slices of turkey pepperoni
- Crushed red pepper
- In a large bowl, mix the yeast, honey and warm water together. Let sit for about 10 minutes, or until foamy. Add in the flour and olive oil and stir until a soft dough forms. Sprinkle the flour on a hard surface and knead with floured hands until soft and elastic, about 4 – 6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Roll the dough out to 12 – 14 inches using a floured rolling pin. Grease a 12 inch pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with a bit of cornmeal.
- Place the cheese sticks around the inside edges of the crust, leaving a one-inch border on the outside. Carefully roll the dough over the cheese sticks and press tightly into the other dough to secure. You want the cheese sticks to be completely covered by dough and the edges pressed down tightly.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the center of the crust. Top with mozzarella cheese and crushed red pepper. Decorate with the turkey pepperoni.
- Bake for 14 – 18 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Nutritional information per slice:
Fat: 12.2 grams
Carbohydrates: 24.4 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 16.2 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8
I love pizza, so I would want to eat this whole pie all by my lonesome.