I have an addiction, and it’s commonly known as horror movie-itis. And now that Halloween is just 2 days away, I’m binging as much as possible. As in, the only thing I can have on when I’m home is something scary. But this is not news to anyone who knows me, I’ve been addicted to “being scared” since I was 5 years old.
As much as I love horror movies, scary decorations and haunted stories, I will not step into a haunted house, real or fake. In fact, we bought tickets to a haunted house, drove there and then I couldn’t go in. I mean, I could watch The Shining and Nightmare on Elm Street 15 times in one day, but can’t walk into a haunted house.
That’s something for my therapist, I s’pose. But I do have these dreams of being on one of those ghost hunters shows. You know the ones I’m talking about, where they take this “serious” looking equipment into haunted asylums and try to talk to the ghosts of the past. Even though I’d probably need to be heavily xanaxed, the thought of staying overnight in some massively haunted asylum is kind of enticing.
So maybe that’s my calling, be the next “Ghost Hunter” on SyFy. Actually, let me rethink that. Maybe I should just stick to my original calling, making delicious recipes like this insanely easy pumpkin french toast while I have ridiculous horror movies on in the background.
That sounds so much safer and doesn’t involve the demons and ghosts of old psycho doctors and demented patients.
Insanely Easy Pumpkin French Toast
Serves about 4.
Prep time: 8 – 10 minutes
Cook time: About 6 – 8 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 loaf of Italian bread
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk (I used 1%)
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 – 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Maple syrup
- Low-fat whipped cream
- Slice the italian bread into thick slices, about 8 – 10 pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk the pumpkin puree, eggs, milk, cream and pumpkin pie spice.
- Melt the butter into a large skillet over medium high heat. Liberally dredge each slice of bread into the bowl to evenly coat. Place in the butter and cook until browned or golden on both sides, about 3 – 4 minutes on each side.
- Stack the french toast and drizzle with maple syrup. Add whipped cream for garnish.
Nutritional information per serving (about 2 slices):
Fat: 11 grams
Carbohydrates: 19.5 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Protein: 9.75 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 5