If you’re a soup lover and could eat it all year long, you’ll love this super easy chicken tortilla soup! Just a handful of ingredients is needed!
I’ve always been a “closet” chef. As a kid, I was always experimenting with ingredients, flavors and products in the kitchen (much to my poor brothers, the taste testers, dismay). Granted 99% of them were horrible, but it was still the act of creating them that I loved the most.
That bug to invent exciting recipes hasn’t gone away, and thanks to my job at SheKnows, I’m constantly pushing the envelope with my dishes. It’s exciting, but still overwhelming at the same time. When you’re making something new that you’ve never made before, there’s always that chance of failure, that worry that it’ll turn out terribly. Normally that’s not an issue, but when you’re on the tight budget I am, any ingredients that are wasted are a complete loss of money.
Because of my job, I rarely make the same thing twice. Unless it’s really, really good. And this easy chicken tortilla soup falls right into that bucket. I made it a few weeks ago and since it’s been made twice. My husband, whose not a huge soup fan, requested it again before I leave for 15 days down under.
I love complex, exciting recipes, but I also love simple, easy and flavorful. This soup isn’t just easy, it’s very budget friendly and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand. The best part about it is that it doesn’t taste easy, or budget friendly. It tastes like you spent 14 hours stewing it with the fanciest of ingredients.
It just warms your soul, and what’s better than that after a long day.
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 – 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 shallots, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 habanero, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 large bell pepper, chopped
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup beer (I used an amber ale)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes with chiles, undrained
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I used this crock pot recipe)
- Juice from two limes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 cup part-skim cheese
- 1 flour tortilla, toasted and chopped
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the shallots, garlic clove, jalapeño, habanero and bell pepper. Cook about 4 – 5 minutes, or until vegetables are softened. Pour in the beer, chicken broth and tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce to low.
- Add the shredded chicken, 3/4 cup of the cilantro, 1/4 cup of the basil, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and the juice from the two limes. Let simmer another 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour the soup into five bowls and garnish with sliced avocado, shredded cheese and chopped tortilla.
Nutritional information per serving (1 bowl):
Fat: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 20.4 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 24.4 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7