This chicken curry flavor is packed with Southeast Asian flavors and will instantly be a new favorite pie in your house!
Charleston vacation “hangovers” are the worst. Even if all of my work is done and I had an amazing time, I always wake up with an anxious pit in my stomach. Maybe it’s because I have another full week of work, or that I’m just anxious anyway, but it’s just so hard to explain. I also think some of it’s because I love Charleston so much and leaving it is always so hard.
This weekend was especially amazing. We went on the boat, ate at a few of the restaurants I’ve been dying to check out, got to spend time with our adorable little niece. It was just all around amazing. We were only there for a few days, but we spent every second perfectly. Really, all I need is some sunshine, food, friends and family to be happy.
You know what else makes me happy? Chicken curry. You know what makes me EVEN MORE happy? Chicken curry on pizza. It’s probably the best marriage of flavors in the entire world. I mean, who doesn’t love pizza? Bad people, that’s who. And chicken curry? Probably the best thing in the world. When the two mix it’s the BEST THING since sliced bread.
I just can’t talk about how much I love this pizza. I totally blew all of my Weight Watchers points on 4 slices in 10 minutes and every point was worth it. Every cheesy, spicy, decadent bite was worth it. To me, though, pizza is always worth it. I don’t splurge a lot on food, but to me, pizza is always worth every extra calorie. Life is just too damn short not to eat your favorite foods once in a while.
I really wish I had this perfect spicy chicken curry pizza right now. Because you know what sucks for breakfast? Smoothies. You know what rocks for breakfast? Curry pizza. Being an adult SUCKS.
Chicken Curry Pizza
Serves about 8. Recipe adapted from Curry and Comfort.
Prep time: 15 – 20 minutes
Cook time: About 22 minutes
For the dough:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water, 100 degrees F
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Dash of salt
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, chopped into pieces
- 1/4 cup nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 cups part-skim cheddar cheese
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Mix the chicken, greek yogurt, curry powder, paprika, sugar, cayenne pepper, ginger, salt and pepper. Cover and let marinate for about 3 hours. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken and saute for about 5 – 7 minutes, or until browned. Add in the tomato sauce and chopped tomato. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Mix in the coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Dust the pizza pan with cornmeal.
- Mix the yeast, teaspoon of sugar and water in a large bowl. Let sit until 10 minutes, or until foamy. Add in the flours and oil. Mix until a soft dough forms, about 5 minutes. Place on a floured surface and knead until elastic and soft. Using a floured rolling pin, roll out the dough to a circle in 1/4 inch thickness. Place the dough on the pizza pan.
- Top the pizza dough with the chicken & sauce, leaving about a 1 inch border along the edges (for the crust). Sprinkle with the cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of black pepper. Bake for about 16 – 18 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately with chopped cilantro.
Nutritional information per slice:
Fat: 11 grams
Carbohydrates: 39.5 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Protein: 20.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8