These oatmeal raisin muffins are the perfect snack or treat when you’re craving a cookie but want something a little lighter!
It’s currently 4:45 am here in Singapore and, welp, you guessed it, I’m wide awake. And I’ve been wide awake since 2 am. Jet lag is no joke, especially when you’re facing a 13 hour time difference.
I thought, given the fact I’ve been to this side of the world before, I’d be able to handle this time lag easily and effortlessly. But no, I hit me harder than it did last time and, much to my dismay, I fell asleep for two hours before my dinner engagement. If there’s one thing you should never do, it’s nap the you arrive to an exotic local with a vast time difference. That’s when you wake up with wide eyes and a racing mind at 2am unable to fall back asleep.
Oddly enough, my current exhaustion is the perfect segway to today’s giveaway item, a Nespresso Essenza! Oddly enough, this exact machine is the one that’s currently keeping the caffeine flowing through my veins in my hotel room. And honestly, it’s absolutely perfect. It brews two sizes of espresso and is the perfect size for just about any kitchen, even the very small ones you find in studio apartments in NYC. It’s compact, cute and absolutely necessary when you’re trying to make it as a writer.
But that’s not the only thing I’m giving away! I’m also including a bundle (80 capsules!) of HiLine coffee. I got a box of this less than 2 months ago and sadly (and shamelessly), we’re completely out of them. My husband went on a Hi-Line spree a few weeks ago and drank the entire box (10 capsules) of Broadway Dark Roast in 4 days. Besides the high quality coffee, I love that each box is named after an iconic NYC neighborhood. My favorite is the Chelsea Light Roast because it’s the perfect mix of Colombian, Costa Rican and Kenyan coffee beans in a very smooth, very creamy taste. The light, easy drinkability of the roast pairs wonderfully with a moist and fluffy breakfast snack, like an oatmeal raisin muffin!
If you think these look familiar, it’s because I’ve actually made them before. And by before, I mean BDSLRC (before DSLR camera). As much as I love to see how my photography has grown over the years, those iPhone 3g photos were not cutting it anymore and these beauties deserved a reboot. Each muffin is packed with your favorite oatmeal raisin cookie flavor, only in a slightly lighter, healthier and lower fat body. These are what the cookies would look and taste like if they went on a juice cleanse for 3 days. Plus, they are completely egg-free, making them a fantastic breakfast option for those who suffer from egg allergies.
I think I’ll go have another espresso, these words are starting to blur together.
Oatmeal Raisin Muffins (Egg-free)
Yields about 12 muffins.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: About 17 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2/3 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 1% milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Optional: Walnuts or hazelnuts
*If you want to use eggs, sub in one egg for the 1/4 cup of applesauce.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12 cavity muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine flours, baking soda, salt, oats and pumpkin pie spice. In the bowl of a standing mixer, beat the butter, sugar, vanilla and applesauce until fluffy. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, alternating with the water and the milk, ending with the dry ingredients. Stir until just moistening. Fold in the raisins.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean and immediately remove from pans. Let cool and enjoy!
Nutritional information per muffin:
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 3.08 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4
To enter the giveaway, be sure to fill out the prompts below! Giveaway goes from February 23, 2014 at midnight until March 8th, 2014 at midnight. Good luck!