These adorable mini whole wheat strawberry donuts are the perfect breakfast for all of your special Valentines!
I’ve always loved Valentine’s Day, even on those many February 14ths where I found myself single and a bit angsty. Probably because in my family, you get Valentine’s Day presents and care packages no matter how old you are or who you’re dating. Plus, in my family, it’s very hard not to constantly feel loved. I think growing up with so much love, it’s hard not to get excited about a holiday centered around the emotion.
I’ll admit, the whole thing is a little cheesy. Mushy cards written by people sitting in cubicles drinking bad coffee, over-priced flower arrangements that die the next day, crappy chocolates and truffles not worth the $50 they cost. But even though the flowers always die too soon and the chocolates never taste quite as good as the ones I can make, I still am over the moon excited when I get them. What can I say, I’m a sucker for sweets and pretty bouquets.
This year, we’re spending a very low-key Valentine’s Day at home. Due to a very crappy January, we’re on a bit of a budget this year. Which means no fancy dinners, expensive bottles of wine or over-priced flower arrangements. And to be honest, I’m kind of okay with that. A night in with my hunny, watching some sappy Nicholas Sparks movie, drinking $10 Cabernet sounds like a piece of heaven to me.
Especially if I don’t have to cook. Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking, but when you do it from 9 -8 every single day, you can get a little burnt out. Which is why I am, with much trepidation mind you, letting my husband take the wheel this Valentine’s and make me a very special (and hopefully not burnt) dinner.
I think just to prepare myself, I’ll make a big batch of these mini whole wheat strawberry donuts on Thursday morning. That way, if he burns the chicken or over cooks the rice, we’ll have these pretty little donuts to enjoy. Because you know what goes really well with cheap wine? Strawberry donuts. It’s a little hidden secret I’m letting you all in on.
Mini Whole Wheat Strawberry Donuts
Yields about 12 mini donuts. Inspired by Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Prep time: About 5 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
For the donuts:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup 2% Chobani Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons light cream
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- About 3 tablespoons chopped fresh strawberries
For the glaze:
- 1 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a mini donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour and baking powder together. In another bowl beat the egg, vanilla, light cream, Greek yogurt, applesauce, brown sugar and white sugar until fluffy. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir to combine. Carefully fold in the fresh strawberries.
- Fill a pastry bag with the donut dough and carefully pipe into the mini donut pan, filling about 3/4 the way full.
- Bake for about 11 – 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly.
- To make the glaze, beat the sugar, heavy cream and strawberry jam. Dip the mini donuts into the frosting about 3 times to liberally coat. Sprinkle the top with Valentine’s Day sprinkles.
Nutritional information per donut:
Fat: 1.8 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 2.4 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 3