Tis the season to eat all the cookies, and stuff yourself silly with other sweets. Where the only pants that fit you, are ones that come with an elastic waist. But, don’t worry, I’m here to help you, with a recipe for cookies that won’t set you back. Before you nose dive into that eggnog, take a quick peak at these skinny sweets. (All sung to the tune of Tis the Season!)
I would make this entire post sung to the tune of a Christmas song but it’s only 8:26 and I’m just halfway through my first cup of coffee. An intro is all you get. Even if I’m too tired to sing you jolly tunes this morning, I can assure these cookies are worth singing about. SUPAH soft, fluffy, chewy and incredible, these cookies are perfect for the holidays. If they actually make it that long, because they probably won’t.
While visiting my friend Julie on Monday, she handed me the most perfect molasses cookie. I honestly couldn’t stop thinking about it the entire drive home. I knew these would be fantastic for the holidays because they’re traditional with a slightly skinny spin. Instead of using all buttah, I subbed in some applesauce, which is why they came out so moist, fluffy and delicious.
You could totally glaze these with some white chocolate for added sweetness, but I found them perfect on their own.
I actually had to hide them yesterday to keep myself from mindlessly munching. Knowing full well that my mother will have 2500 different kinds of cookies for Christmas next week, I should probably fast on sweets this week. Starting tomorrow because I’m definitely having a cookie for breakfast.
Super Soft Ginger Cardamom Cookies
Yields about 24 small cookies or 14 large ones. Recipe slightly adapted from All Recipes.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 14 minutes
- 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In the stand of kitchen aid mixer, beat the butter, applesauce, sugars, egg and molasses together. Beat until creamy. In another bowl, whisk the flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and ginger. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. Beat until mixture is thick.
- Cover the mixture with saran wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. To make large cookies, use an ice cream scoop to scoop out cookies onto the parchment paper. For regular size cookies, use a regular spoon. Bake for about 10 – 14 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutritional information per standard size cookie:
Fat: 4.1 grams
Carbohydrates: 19.25 grams
Fiber: >1 gram
Protein: 1.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4