Candy Striped Beets, Garlic & Onion Pizza
Once upon a time, not to long ago, I was in a kitchen in NYC cooking with Michelle Bernstein. Which is overwhelming in itself. I mean, she’s MICHELLE FREAKIN’ BERNSTEIN. But that’s not all. I was standing next to 4 other James Beard award winning chefs, all who were running around, chopping, dicing, swearing. So, when Michelle handed me a small batch of vegetables and asked me to cut, I grabbed them and said “how do you want these radishes cut?” To which she said “they’re beets, not radishes.” Strike out number one.
Strike out number two happened later when I was having a panic attack and grabbed her a bunch of cilantro when she asked for parsley. Whoops. So, back to the first strike, that was my first time ever using candy striped beets. Which is ridiculous because they are probably one of the most beautiful vegetables in the entire world.
On one trip to the farmers market here I saw just one batch of these beets left so I grabbed them without any clue as to how I’d actually use them. Which is why they sat in my crisper for longer than I care to admit. Well, after a week of eating charcuterie and croissants, one can say I had a mean craving for something NOT FRENCH. So I grabbed my beets, my favorite pizza dough recipe and decided to make a pie.
But I didn’t want anything complicated. So I rolled out my dough, topped it with simple tomato basil marinara and some freshly grated mozzarella. Then I sliced into my beautiful beets, placed them on the cheese along with a few cloves of garlic and white onion and tadaa! It’s really sort of embarrassing how easy this pizza is. But it’s so GOOD we each ate our pizzas in complete silence. And my word was it marvelous.
Candy striped beet, garlic & onion pizza
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Yields 2 personal pizzas.
Prep time: About 10 minutes
Cook time: 12 – 15 minutes
- 1 homemade pizza crust ( I love this recipe)
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup tomato basil marinara
- 2 medium sized candy striped beets, sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 8 small slices white onion
- Salt and pepper
- Prehat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a pizza pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Roll the dough out into 1/3 inch thickness. Separate into two pieces and roll into medium circles. Cover each circle with ½ cup marinara. Then top each dough with ½ cup shredded mozzarella. Place about 6 – 7 slices of beets on each pizza, along with 4 cloves of garlic and 4 slices of onion. Garnish with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Place pizzas on the pizza pan. Bake pizzas for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown, puffy and cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Nutritional information per 1/2 pie:
Fat: 7.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 52 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 17.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points:
Tags:beet recipes, candy striped beets, easy pizza crust, healthy pizzas, homemade pizza recipes
more irritation. Today's man may suffer from shaving rash, razor burn, we can accidentally release the fluid by cutting
the blister with our razor.