Bet you can’t say Muesli five times fast! (I’m trying to right now and it’s really awkward, so there’s that). I’ve actually never used Muesli before, nor did I really have any idea of what it was. That was until the amazing folks at Bob’s Red Mill contacted me and asked me if I wanted to partake in a little contest they have promoting their gluten-free Muesli. I said yes, because I love Bob’s Red Mill and I’m always up for a challenge. After some brainstorming, I decided to make a big loaf of strawberry, banana & blueberry muesli bread. Basically I just dumped all the fruit I had in my fridge into the batter and it turned out SO FREAKING DELICIOUS.
And you know what else I added on to it, because 45 ingredients wasn’t enough, I doused it in cinnamon roll icing! Because everything tastes so much better with cinnamon roll icing, am I right?
My husband didn’t love this bread, but not because it didn’t taste good. He was like “It’s squishy. It tastes like pie.” Which, clearly bread tastes like pie, right? He’s not a big fan of warm fruit though. Which is communist and ilegal to me, but to each their own I guess. At least he said “but the flavors are amazing!” So, that’s good right? See, I love the soft, slightly squishy middle that the fruit gives it. It’s almost like you’re eating batter, but it’s all cooked. I can’t explain it, just make it.
It’s almost like a fruity cobbler bread. That’s a good way to put it. The warm fruit literally melts in your mouth. And the Muesli offers the best contrast with a slight crunch. It’s bread so you can eat it for breakfast but it tastes like dessert. Which is the best kind of breakfast. Especially when one slice of bread only has 2.3 grams of fat.
Strawberry, Banana & Blueberry Muesli Bread
Yields one loaf (serves about 8).
Prep time: >10 minutes
Cook time: About 50 – 55 minutes
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Muesli (I used Gluten-free)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 ripe banana, smashed
- About 3 tablespoons cinnamon roll icing (use this recipe)*
*Totally optional. Bread is just as delicious without it!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5) with nontsick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the muesli, flour, baking soda, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice together. In another bowl, mix the applesauce, sugars and egg together. Mix the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the milk. Carefully fold in the strawberries, blueberries and banana.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 50 – 55 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let bread cool for at least 10 – 15 minutes in the pan and then carefully remove the bread from the pan and place on a wire cooing rack. Once cooled (but still slightly warm), drizzle the bread with cinnamon roll icing.
Nutritional information per slice (without icing):
Fat: 2.3 grams
Carbohydrates: 54.5 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 6.5 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 7