Can I tell you how much I love Kristina with a capital L? She’s always whipping up such amazing recipes on her aptly titled blog, Whipped. I’ve made her avocado quesadillas and chocolate chunk bread, which are HUGE faves now in my house. I’m currently doing some work (and hopefully sunning myself) in Moorea (French Polynesian Islands) so the gorgeous Kristina is here to share another one of her fabulous recipes, this one for a healthy shrimp and avocado citrus salad!
Hi Everyone! My name is Kristina, and I’m the blogger behind Whipped, a healthy cooking, baking, and nutrition blog. I am so excited to be guest posting for Claire today! I’ve been stalking her delicious site since I can remember and have her to blame for most of my foodie obsessions like chocolate peanut butter smoothies and pumpkin puree! If there isn’t a jar of Skippy in my pantry there’s a serious problem. Serious guys. So when she gave me free reign to come up with a recipe to share with you all, I knew it had to live up to some pretty high expectations. Enter – a little taste of summer. Because who can say no to a sneak peak of summer flavors at the end of winter?? We’ve still got a bit of lingering snow in Chicago so I couldn’t think of any better way to fast forward to June then with a bright salad featuring spicy shrimp, creamy avocado, and a little sunny citrus.
You can get this on the table –start to finish – in 20 minutes. All it takes is a couple minutes to sauté the shrimp and another few to whisk together the dressing! So this is a great quickie weeknight meal but also rich enough to stand in on the weekends. So go ahead, pretend like its June! Because maybe if we all just click our heels a few times Sam Champion will stop warning us of the newest cold front and we can all go back to sipping mojitos by the poolside…please? Thanks again Claire for sharing your delicious blog with me today! Enjoy everyone!
Shrimp and Avocado Citrus Salad
Yields 4 servings.
For the Shrimp
- 1 ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 12 ounces medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
For the Dressing
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon honey
For the Salad
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced into 12 wedges
- 8 cups romaine lettuce
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into wedges
- Make the Dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, cilantro, and honey. Set aside while you prepare the shrimp.
- Make the Shrimp: Toss together shrimp, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until done, stirring frequently; about 3 minutes or until opaque.
- Assemble the Salad: Arrange 2 cups of lettuce on four plates. Divide shrimp, avocado, and orange wedges evenly among the dishes. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.