I’m a foodie, a Le Cordon Bleu Paris hopeful and a die hard French food fanatic, and here I am, on this dreary Tuesday, giving you a recipe for easy mac. BUT, listen. This isn’t the weird fake cheese stuff you’d buy in college when you only had $1 left on your meal card. This 6 minute easy mac recipe is made with some healthier ingredients, like skim milk & part-skim cheese and has had a bit of a gourmet makeover, with the addition of caramelized shrooms and fresh basil. This isn’t the stuff you find in those blue cups.
I got this idea from Pinterest. I kept seeing the pin (this one from Babble) over and over again and finally, during a moment of weakness (read a typical Tuesday night) I said “FINE PINTEREST! I’LL MAKE IT!” So here you go, friends. You get the product of my mac n’ cheese obsession and a too-busy-for-words week.
But you know what? In all seriousness, this is GOOD mac n’ cheese! It tastes just like the creamy stove top kind you spend 30 minutes making. Since I’m leaving on Friday for 9 days, this week has been NUTS. I have to get everything in before I leave at 5:30 am. So basically I want to rip my eyes out and sob hysterically. So a delicious dinner done in 6 minutes is the equivalent of a Cartier bracelet right now. Okay, not really but you get my gist.
Plus, you can totally customize it. Hate Swiss cheese? Add cheddar. Want more veggies? Add them in! You can pretty much make any kind you want, all you need to keep the same are the liquid measurements and noodles. To quote a pinner, NEVER BUY Easy mac again. I mean, obviously for health reasons (I’m 100% certain the powdered neon cheese has some traces of poison in it) and this is 10000x better.
5 Minute Easy Mac Recipe
Serves 1. Recipe adapted from Babble.
Prep time: >5 minutes
Cook time: About 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup elbow macaroni noodles
- About 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup part skim shredded mozzarella
- 2 1/2 tablespoons part skim shredded swiss
- 3 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Add noodles and water to a large mug. Microwave on high (100% power) for 2 minutes. Stir and then microwave again for another 2 – 3 minutes, or until liquid is fully absorbed and noodles are cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat mushrooms in a small skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and immediately stir in milk and cheeses. You may need to microwave the mixture for like 30 seconds or so to absorb the milk. Stir in mushrooms and basil and eat!
Fat: 12.3 grams
Carbohydrates: 31 grams
Fiber: 2.5 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8