It’s Monday, and that calls specifically for a cocktail. Especially because this Monday is technically considered a holiday. Thanks Presidents, you guys rock! I desperately needed that extra hour of sleep this morning, let me tell you. I started my new part time job yesterday and it’s only 504804854096048x busier than the one I previously had. I had to have walked at least 4 miles yesterday just by working behind the bar. Even though I loved it, one of these strawberry balsamic margaritas was calling my name when I got home yesterday.
If you’re an absolutely balsamic addict like me, the thought of drinking it isn’t strange at all. In fact, it’s probably a typical Tuesday night. I mean, I don’t actually drink this stuff, but I might as well with how much I use it in like everything I eat. Salad for dinner? Add a cup of balsmaic to dress. Boring chicken on the menu? Marinade it in another cup of balsamic. Making some panna cotta? Add a…well, you get the picture.
Even though I had a frozen margarita every day in Mexico, I still craved the sweet, frozen deliciousness when I got home. Except, something a little less…sugar coma inducing and a little more tangy. Plus, I wanted them to be a bit fresher with no weird ingredients or juices. The addition of the balsamic was a bit of a fluke, but oh my lord did it completely change my life. After one sip I wondered why no one had ever done this before and how this drink can become a permanent fixture to my mouth.
If you really want to bend the rules a bit, add some basil like I did in this other strange yet delicious margarita I made over the summer. You may get weird looks from friends and bystanders, but trust me, it’ll be worth it. And everyone will think they are too weird to try so you’ll be left with the whole pitcher. No sharing required, hii-yah!
Low-sugar Strawberry Balsamic Margaritas
Serves about 4 – 5 (ours served 4 1/2). Margarita adapted from Rachael Ray.
Prep time: >5 minutes
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, hulled
- About 5 tablespoons sugar
- 12 ounces premium tequila
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons margarita mix (we used Drink Skinny original lime)*
- 3 – 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- About 3 cups of ice
*Sub in more orange juice or fresh lime juice if you don’t have that.
- Pour the ice into a blender. Add strawberries, sugar, tequila, margarita mix, fresh orange juice and balsamic vinegar (start with 3 tablespoons). Blend on low until smooth. Add additional sugar and balsamic vinegar to taste (I added about 4 tablespoons of vinegar to my batch).
- Dip the tops of your margarita glasses (or mason jars) in water and then roll in crushed sugar or salt. Pour the mixture into the rimmed glasses and enjoy!
Nutritional information per margarita:
Fat: >1 gram
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Fiber: 0 grams
Protein: 1.3 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4