After yesterday’s indulgent cookie recipe, I thought I’d whip up something a little lighter for you (and mainly Santa) this Saturday. Next to eggnog, hot cocoa is something I really can not get enough of this time of year. And not that weird, powdered stuff you buy for $1 at the grocery store. I’m taking real, homemade, rich, marshmallowy hot chocolate. This year, because I was lucky enough to work with the amazing people at Crock-Pot, I whipped up a batch of my favorite skinny crock pot hot cocoa in a fancy, personalized slow cooker!
That’s my face, ON A CROCK POT! Isn’t that the coolest thing you’ve ever seen? No, well I think so I loved it so much I ordered another one for two of my favorite people in this world. I would say who, but I’m pretty sure one of them reads my blog and I don’t want to ruin their Christmas surprise. Now, as cool as the crock-pot is, I know the real reason y’all are here. THIS.
That messy, bubbly, marshmallowy sight in front of your eyes is what dreams are made of. Okay, maybe not YOUR dreams but certainly my dreams. It’s so creamy and rich, with half the fat and calories as normal homemade cocoa. I mean, if that’s not reason enough to make a big batch to drink yourself, I don’t know what is.
If you’re craving something a little more boozy, add some vanilla or whipped cream vodka to this right after it’s done crock potting (it’s a word) for an extra delightful treat. Boozy or as is, this cocoa will warm your heart and soul this (rather frigid) holiday. I’m going to make a few big batches of this on Christmas day to enjoy with my insanely crazy and incredible family as we open up our presents.
I don’t know what I’m more excited about, presents or another big glass of this! Happy holidays my amazing friends and fans! If you’re looking for a last minute gift idea, order your own personalized Crock-Pot! You can decorate it with your face (like I did) or with your wedding pictures, NFL team, etc. They are reasonably priced too so they make GREAT gifts!
Crock Pot Hot Cocoa
CLICK HERE FOR THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS RECIPE!
Serves about 8 -10. Recipe slightly adapted from Budget Savvy Diva.
Prep time: >5 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
- 8 ounces low-fat sweetened condensed milk (fat free works too)
- 1 1/3 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 3 1/4 cups skim mik
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Sugar (to add)
- Marshmallows, whipped cream and chocolate chips for garnish
- Milk light cream, milk and sweetened condensed milk together in a bowl with a whisk. Pour into your crock pot. Add chocolate chips, cocoa powder and vanilla and mix well.
- Set crock pot to low and heat until chocolate is melted and mixture is warm, about 2 hours. Be sure to stir the cocoa every 30 minutes or so the chocolate doesn’t burn! Add sugar to taste if it’s not sweet enough!
- Serve warm with whipped cream, marshmallows and chocolate chips!
Nutritional information per cup:
Fat: 9 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 6