Hi friends! Happy Monday! I’m still in Las Vegas doing some work so I have the lovely Jen from Savory Simple here to share this amazing grilled vegetable and black bean tostada recipe with avocado cream.
Don’t it look incredible? Oh, but not only that! I also have a GIVEAWAY for y’all so you can make your own favorite Mexican inspired dishes at home! Before we get to that, I want to introduce Jen, a featured August sponsor!
This girl is seriously talented in the kitchen and behind the camera. Just one glance at her photographs and you’ll completely get it. Her dishes are inspiring, innovative and creative. Plus, her blog is fun to read and as a culinary school graduate, she has such a fabulous perspective on food and ingredients. So please give Jen a big warm welcome and check out these amazing tostadas!
Grilled Vegetable and Black Bean Tostada with Avocado Cream
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6 tostadas
For the Beans:
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of black pepper
For the Avocado Cream:
- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil (or any neutral flavored oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon neutral sweetener such as agave nectar or Karo corn syrup
For the Grilled Vegetables:
- 1 red onion, sliced into half moons
- 1 green or purple pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 red pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 yellow squash, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 ear of corn with the husk
- a high heat oil for grilling (grapeseed, canola, regular olive oil, etc.)
- 6 corn tortillas
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Brush the corn tortillas with a bit of oil, sprinkle lightly with salt and bake for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the beans: In a medium bowl, combine the black beans, lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare the avocado cream: In a sturdy blender or food processor, puree the avocado, lime juice, grapeseed oil and sweetener until smooth. Set aside.
- Brush all vegetables lightly with and a sprinkle of salt.
- Grill the corn directly in the husk until charred. Allow it to cool for before carefully removing the husk and silk. Slice the corn kernels from the ear and combine with the black beans.
- Grill the rest of the veggies on both sides until tender and lightly charred.
- To assemble: place a baked corn tortilla in the center of a plate and top with a generous helping of the black bean and corn mixture. Follow with the vegetables and avocado cream. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
AND now for the giveaway! The amazing people at MexiAmerica sent me a box filled with all different kinds of tortillas to play around with, like whole wheat, honey wheat and gluten-free, to name a few!
Tortillas, especially corn, are a low fat, healthy way addition to any meal. Plus, most tortillas are lower in carbs and calories than traditional bread, so swap your sandwich bread for a whole wheat tortilla and make a wrap instead! So, how can you win an entire box of fabulous tortillas and wraps? Follow the prompts below!