Oh do I have a deeeeeelicous recipe for your faces today! Made with crisp lettuce leaves and a to-die-for vegetarian filling, this meal was GOBBLED up in less than 5 minutes last night. Friends? Meet vegetarian lettuce wraps. I think you two will be very good friends.
This dish is almost perfect. The only negative thing? I grabbed the wrong lettuce, doi. Instead of Romaine hearts, which i’d prefer, I accidentally grabbed…gasp…iceberg! Even though the lettuce wasn’t my choice, the crisp crunch of it was the perfect complement to the softer texture of the filling.
So, you’re probably wondering what that meat looking stuff inside the lettuce is. Fair question. The meat impersonator is actually an amazing vegetable based sausage I picked up!
Made with 100% vegetable protein, this stuff is legit. I’m always a little skeptical with these items because they are sometimes a big flop (and taste like dirt and/or weird flower stems). This? Tasted just like sausage. You know you aren’t eating sausage, but the hearty, spicy flavor you get from the meat sausage is there.
Paired with some onions, garlic and peppers and you have a very hearty vegetarian dinner. I’m seriously obsessed with this recipe. This is one I’m going to make probably once a week for the rest of my life.
The delicious looking drizzle adorning the wraps is a bourbon marinade I had in my fridge.Nothin’ fancy. You could top these with anything and they’d still be amazing. You could eat them by themselves too! Or in a car, by a bar, or with a cat, wearing a hat!
I need more coffee.
Vegetarian Lettuce Wraps Recipe
Serves about 3 (2 lettuce wraps each).
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 7 ounces veggie sausage
- I medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- Lettuce leaves
- Your favorite sauce for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a 3 quart pan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until just softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, another 2 minutes. Add pepper and mushrooms and cook about 2 minutes, or until just beginning to soften.
- Add veggie sausage and break up using a spatula until crumbly. Cook about 3 – 4 more minutes, or until sausage is hot and vegetables are soft. Mix in red pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Scoop about 2 heaping spoonfuls of the filling into your lettuce leaf. Drizzle with your favorite sauce and wrap the leaf around the filling like an egg-roll. Then enjoy!
Nutritional information per serving (2 lettuce leaves w/ filling):
Fat: 4.6 grams
Carbohydrates: 17.2 grams
Fiber: 3.4 grams
Protein: 9.6 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 4