BE SURE TO ENTER THE CANNING ESSENTIALS GIVEAWAY HERE!
HELLLOOOO!!!! (Said in my best Seinfeld voice). Happy Tuesday, y’all! (Said in my best Paula Deen voice). How goes it? I’m doing really well today. I’m excited, happy and ready to tackle what today brings me. I’m also a little bit happy because as you read this, I’m currently inhaling these spicy black bean enchiladas. Which to my dismay, just aren’t very sexy lookin’.
I know. It’s barely 11am. What the heck. Friends, you have to believe me on this one, this sauce is THE BOSS. The bomb.com. The bees knees. Insert every other cliché that describes something mind-blowing here. I straight up spooned-to-mouthed this stuff. At 9am! It goes well with coffee, I swear.
The sauce is what makes these enchiladas, for sure. But I also love the hearty texture of the black beans inside the soft, fluffy tortillas as well. They work as such a perfect replacement for meat and you still get a hearty, filling bite with each fork-full. I also added some extra spice (in the form of a HUGE jalapeño) so each bite is spicy while still having that authentic peppery taste from the pepper.
Yes, I just said peppery. It’s a word. Ask Andrew Zimmern. Before I digress further, these are the perfect vegetarian substitute to any regular enchilada. Plus, if you were vegan, you could easily sub out the cheddar cheese for soy cheese. For an added health benefit (hello soft hair), I added in some freshly sliced avocado and a dab of Greek yogurt to garnish each.
I am now drooling all over my empty plate. Looks like I need to have another one. Don’t look at me like that, they’re healthy! And in some parts of the world, it’s dinner time. SO HA.
Spicy Black Bean Enchiladas
Serves about 4. Recipe adapted from Skinny Bitch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (with juices)
- 4 large tortillas, warmed up
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Liberal dashes of salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium pan, heat olive oil to medium high. Add onions and cook about 2 minutes. Add garlic and red bell pepper and cook until soft, about 4 more minutes. Add in jalapenos (with seeds) and cook another minute longer. Add in black beans, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper and cumin. Reduce heat to medium and cook for about 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour about half of the black bean mixture into a food processor. Add additional salt to taste and diced tomatoes and pulse until mixture is smooth.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the sauce onto the bottom of a glass 9 x 13 dish. Place about a hefty spoonfull of the black beans (not pureed) into each tortilla and roll up. Place tortillas, seam side down, onto the sauce in the pan. Cover the rest of the enchiladas with the sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for about 25 – 40 minutes, or until bubbly. Garnish with Greek yogurt, avocados and jalapeños and enjoy!
Nutritional information per enchilada:
Fat: 11 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Weight Watchers Points: 8
Be sure to check out these other skinny bitches!